Thursday, November 20, 2014

Racetrack: Stacks and Pigs in the Hole


20141119 0003
When I went to get some overview pictures of the Belmont underpass, I ended up doing some train watching because an eastbound container and TOFC train was parked on it. I saw quite a few J B Hunt containers and UPS trailers. So I would assume this train is high priority. So why is it setting in the hole? I spent 20 minutes in the area, and it never moved. (It was gone when I circled back about two hours later after running my errands.) The end of the train was under the signal bridge that is west of the Belmont station.

The beginning was between the Forest Ave. crossing and the yard. It was hard finding a gap in the buildings to get a picture of the engines. But I finally found a decent view.





The CP Rail is worthy of a closeup.


According to Diesel Shop, the BNSF 4079 is a Dash 9-44C, and the CP Rail 9553 is a AC4400CW.

In addition to J B Hunt and UPS cargo, there were quite a view "E" trailers. I did not have enough resolution to read the back of the left trailer. When I checked the ISO setting on the camera, I discovered that I had it set at 1600. I normally don't have it higher than 400. I wonder what indoor shot I was doing after which I forgot to reset the ISO. "E" is not enough info to Google.

As I was waiting at a stop light to leave the Belmont area, a westbound mixed freight came through. So I changed my plans and chased it. I missed the front end of the train, so I can't do a detailed analysis of the consist. During the Summer, there was a green wall along the tracks west of Belmont until you get to the BNSF access drive off Burlington Ave. near Walnet Ave. But now there are "windows" of train visibility along the track. I don't think it is just because the leaves have fallen. I think BNSF has trimmed some brush. I found a big enough window that allowed me to capture a "fallen flag."




No comments:

Post a Comment