Monday, January 20, 2020

Chicago Bridge and Iron Co.

(Satellite, between 105th and 107th, it has been completely redeveloped)

Dave Durham posted


CRI&P, Geneseo around 1905. CB&I constructed lots of steel railway water tanks and towers, replacing many wooden structures. In this advertisement, the base appears to be about 8' of concrete, I wonder if time has been able to obliterate THAT railroad artifact.
Greg Burnet Yup. East side of Vincennes, at about 105th St. It was a very large complex.Dick James Greg Burnet -- CB&I also had rail service on its east side from the Pennsy Panhandle line. The 50s era water tanks that looked like a golf ball atop a giant tee were called Horton Waterspheres. One summer while in college I worked at the CB&I construction warehouse at 95th & Cottage Grove. Spent lots of time cleaning , putting new connections on, then coiling welding cable into 55 gallon drums. The offered me a higher paying job climbing out the top of the spheres, lowering myself on a bosuns chair to scrape and paint. I declined. I think Arthur Baer president of the near-by Beverly Bank on 103rd St. and Baer's Dept. Store on Vincennes was a big share holder in CB&I.


Frank Smitty Schmidt CB&I built a lot of LST's during WWII.
Dennis DeBruler This caused me to check my notes. I see that they are the company that built and ran the LST shipyard in Seneca, IL.
https://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/.../seneca-landing...


Denis Johnston I was an overhead crane operator at the plant after CB&I moved. Magi-Metal Supply. Back in the days when you operated the crane up in the crane.

David Daruszka commented on Dave's post

David Daruszka commented on Dave's post 
Dave commented on his post


Dave commented on his post

Dave commented on his post
Load'em up, ship'em out.

Dave commented on his post
This was one of the reasons for CB&Is success in selling steel watertowers.

Dennis DeBruler commented on Dave's post
1929 Blue Island Quadrangle @ 1:24,000

Dennis DeBruler commented on Dave's post
Corresponding 1938 aerial photo.
https://clearinghouse.isgs.illinois.edu/.../0bwq05013.jpg


2 comments:

  1. I WORKED AT CB&I PLANT IN WASHING HEIGHTS CHICAGO 1952 TO 1956

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now understand that you were adding your name for the above comment:
      ALAN D. SELLERS

      Delete