Saturday, June 6, 2015

Santa Fe's I&M Canal Bridge

(Bridge Hunter, Historic Bridges, Satellite) Update: Update: The Illinois Flickr Album contains another picture of this bridge.

20150603 2014
While chasing tows upstream in north Joliet, I spent quite a bit of time in the vicinity of the BNSF/SantaFe Bridge over the I&M Canal while I was taking pictures and videos of the CN/EJ&E bridge that is further upstream. During this time, four Santa Fe trains came by so I got some pictures of the bridge with trains on it.
2:56:50
2:56:56
The first train was a westbound container train with four BNSF engines ---7852: ES44DC built in 2010, 6791: ES44C4 built in 2011, 6353: ES44AC built in 2009, and 4198: C44-9W built in 2002.
Next was an eastbound container train at 3:08 that was being pulled by BNSF 8388, 8383, 8386, and 8368, which are ES44C4s built in 2015. I suspected that because of the tight number grouping, these must have been recent deliveries from the factory. A Facebook posting called them "four brand new gevos." Because I had a telephoto lens on the camera to take a video of the CN/EJ&E bridge going down, I was not able to get a picture of this train on the bridge.

3:13:14
Then came a westbound vehicle train pulled by BNSF 6992: ES44C4 built in 2012 and 4462: C44-9W built in 1998. Note that the vehicle cars have more clearance under the cross members than do the double stack container cars.
3:31:18
An eastbound container train pulled by BNSF 7601 and 7511, both of which are ES44DC built in 2007.





I captured the following view of the bridge when I took a picture of the train from the Ruby Street Bridge.
Update:
Jacob Metzger posted
After a little more movement to the south, we ran into LCHI102 on purpose at Joliet, again passing a historical structure- the I&M Canal bridge, 36A.
The engineer called back to the conductor, stating "Hey Bern, those two from Lemont are up here takin pictures again.."...
"Wish I had a camera all the damn time!" 
"ha, no kidding!"Joseph Robert LeMay Nice! Don't think I've seen a shot from that angle before. And you made it even better with the correct leader!
[Because they are inside the treeline between the tracks and the Des Plaines River, they must have climbed the elevation, walked along the fence, and used a zoom to get this view.]
HAER ILL, 99-JOL, 8--2 from LoC

2. SOUTH PORTAL, LOOKING NORTH. - Santa Fe Railroad, llinois & Michigan Canal Bridge, Crossing I&M Canal at Des Plaines River, Joliet, Will County, IL


HalstEd Pazdzior posted
BNSF 2740 led LCHI105 again today.
Seen here crossing the bridge where the I&M meets the Des Plaines River.
9/22/20

HalstEd Pazdzior posted
L-CHI105 works Joliet yard.   4/29/21

Comments on HalstEd's post

It is pretty bad when you can confirm a bridge by the rust spots.
1 of 4 photos posted by Dillon Harrison
I don’t get out and “Railfan” much anymore, but I have a soft spot for the ol’ Santa Fe… and the number of these locomotives still in original paint is quickly dwindling, due to BNSF’s rebuild/repaint program. 
The AT&SF railroad was the image that captivated me from my youngest years. It all started with an electric train set at the age of 4 with a classic Warbonnet locomotive. Along with my grandfather tossing me up on his shoulders on Saturday mornings at the Lemont curve, the images and sounds left a lasting impression which would later on guide me into my railroading career I have today. 
The very well-covered JOL202 local heads west, departing Joliet yard for the 58 lead down in nearby Channahon, IL. Taken Wednesday, 5-18-23.




No comments:

Post a Comment