Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Willow Avenue Bridges over Old River in Cleveland, OH

1898: (Bridge Hunter)

Please access the 1898 Bridge Hunter link above for information on the old bobtail swing bridge.

Street View
[The raised bridge is an abandoned B&O bridge and the "blue bridge" is Main Avenue.]


Geoffrey Morland posted
Willow Avenue

I tried to locate the bridge in this photo so that I could locate the cement plant. I spent quite a bit of time looking for it, but I failed because I was looking along today's main channel rather than the Old River.
Bill Kloss posted
A Chuck Drumm photo of E.M. Ford at Huron Cement in Cleveland. 1971

When I came across this post, I found the cement plant along the Old River. That is when I realized I should look for a lift bridge over the Old River.
One of four photos posted by Andrew Haenisch
Went in to work later in the day and got to visit NACC ARGONAUT in the port of Cleveland this morning.

Ron Reed posted
Lakefront 1978
Thomas Wentzel shared
[The raised truss on the left is the abandoned B&O bridge and the lift bridge on the right is the NS/NYC/LS&MS bridge.]

They want to replace this bridge with a 100' high level bridge. [cleveland


3 comments:

  1. Keeping the trucks off the Cleveland Memorial Shoreway is the point. It's Edgewater Park with a 35 MPH speed limit now. Norfolk Southern built a new bridge a few years back to enhance the park experience west of Whiskey Island. Cleveland is trying to give the public access to the Lake Erie shore like Chicago did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the insight. I deleted my musings since they were way off the mark. How much boat traffic is left? Would a movable bridge really be that bad of a solution?

      Delete
    2. At the location in the picture west is full of small businesses that service and store recreational watercraft, etc... There is a lot going on down there and Whiskey Island itself may be a park soon.

      Dennis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Island_(Cleveland)

      Delete