Saturday, November 12, 2016

16th Street over Sanitary and Ship Canal in Lockport, IL

MWRD posted
Historical Photo of the Week: Construction of the abutment for the 16th Street roadway bridge that connected to the swing bridge over the Chicago Sanitary & Ship Canal in Lockport, Illinois, on April 6, 1906. This photo shows a view looking north
1939 Aerial Photo from ILHAP
It appears this became the Division Street Bridge. I don't think that is the abutment, I think it is the swing pier. The aerial photo confirms that this bridge was not a symmetrical swing bridge. After constructing the pier, it appears they removed more of the land on the west side.

When I first came to the Chicago area in the 1970s, I used Division Street to take an access road along the east side of the canal to a visitor center for the lock further downstream. Soon after I retired in 2014, I went back there to get some pictures with my new camera. I discovered this area is now off limits and the bridge is gone. Trying to find the pictures I took in the 1970s is on my todo list.

MWRD posted on Dec 19, 2022
Workers repair a section of wall on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal near 16th Street in Lockport, Illinois, on July 11, 1911.


No comments:

Post a Comment