|Bev Shaw posted|
The 3200-bhp towboat Gene C. Hutchinson, built 1952 by the St. Louis Shipbuilding & Steel Company for the Hutchinson Barge Line, Inc., of Chicago, pushes the Joseph S. Young beneath the MacArthur Bridge at St. Louis on 7 January 1957, along with the towboat’s usual complement of oil barges it towed between New Orleans and Chicago. The tow had to wait at the Alton, Illinois, lock until 28 January 1957 to lock through because of low water at the Alton pool. The Young arrived at Lockport on 14 February 1957 where the Hutchinson relinquished the tow to the Great Lakes Towing Company tugs Montana and Wyoming for the twelve hour journey from there through the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, South Branch of the Chicago River, and the Chicago River to Lake Michigan.
Built at Mobile AL by Alabama Dry Dock & Ship Building Co., Hull 346
Launched June 30, 1945
Built as Archer’s Hope for U. S. Maritime Commission during World War II as Class T2-SE-A1 tanker. Originally enrolled at 504.0 x 68.2 x 39.2, 10172 GT, 6134 NT. Operated by Cities Service Oil Co. and purchased by their subsidiary Ships Inc. in 1948.
Sold 1956 to owners below. Renamed Joseph S. Young (1) 1957.
Converted to bulk freighter at Baltimore MD by Maryland Dry Dock Co. with new forebody. Towed into the Great Lakes via the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers to Manitowoc WI, where her self-unloading equipment was installed by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co.
588’10” LOA, 572’ LBP, 68’ beam, 39’3” depth
1 deck, arch cargo hold construction, hatches @ 24’, oil-fired boilers, steam turbine engine, 6000 SHP
572.0 x 68.2 x 39.2, 12489 GT, 8820 NT US 248326 to:
American Steamship Co., Buffalo NY, Boland & Cornelius, Mgr. (home port Buffalo NY)
Entered Great Lakes service June 28, 1957
Lengthened 1966 at South Chicago IL by American Ship Building Co.
Remeasured to 656.0 length and 14452 GT, 10783 NT
Renamed H. Lee White (1) 1969