|Source: 1991 Map, © www.MemorialLibrary.com, used with permission and is authorized for this site only.|
|Bill Molony posted|
This map of the Chicago & Alton Railroad is from the 1921 Collier Atlas.
According to Richard Parks, the Chicago and Alton Railroad right-of-way was built from Alton, Illinois (on the Missisippi north of St Louis) to Joliet between between 1847 and 1855. It used the Chicago and Rock Island to Chicago and La Salle Street Station. The Joliet and Chicago Railroad was chartered on February 15, 1855 and opened in 1856. This is the route that shares the Des Plaines valley with the SantaFe and it completed the C&A between Chicago and Alton. On Dec. 28, 1863 the Alton and the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railroad completed an agreement for the Alton to move from the Illinois Central depot, where they had been briefly, to the PFW&C depot on Madison Street, later to become the Union Station.
The C&A introduced innovative passenger cars for the very competitive Chicago to St. Louis service. The McLean County Museum of History has some pictures of the Bloomington shops.
An 1885 map:
David Rumsey has an 1878 version of the above map that you can zoom and pan. And a map of the Bridgeport area is an interesting 1908 reference.
Bill Molony posted two images with the comment: "The is the original 1930 article from Railway Age describing the purchase of the Chicago & Alton by the Baltimore & Ohio."