Monday, December 31, 2018

Crescent City Connection Bridge over Mississippi River in New Orleans, LA

(Bridge Hunter; no Historic Bridges; John A Weeks III3D Satellite, 136+ photos)

Upstream span: 1958 with four lanes
Downstream span: 1988 with six lanes, two of which are reversible HOV lanes. (HOV = High-Occupancy Vehicles   Typically, HOV means at least two people in the vehicle.)

"The older span was the longest continuous truss bridge in the world when it opened. The 3,019 foot long truss superstructure and 1,575 foot long main span still rate as some of largest continuous truss bridges on the planet." [Weeks III]  As of 2013, tolls are no longer collected. [Bridge Hunter comment]

Steve Robinson posted several photos with the comment:
Crescent City Connection- New Orleans, Louisiana, United
The Crescent City Connection (CCC), formerly the Greater New Orleans Bridge (GNO), refers to twin cantilever bridges that carry U.S. Highway 90 Business (US 90 Bus.) over the Mississippi River in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. They are tied as the fifth-longest cantilever bridges in the world. Each span carries four general-use automobile lanes; additionally the westbound span has two reversible HOV lanes across the river.
What later became known as the Crescent City Connection was the second bridge to span the Mississippi south of Baton Rouge, the first being the Huey P. Long Bridge, a few miles upriver from the city, and it is the first bridge across the river in New Orleans itself.
The Mississippi River Bridge Authority, known since 1989 as the Crescent City Connection Division (CCCD), began construction of the first span in November 1954, which opened in April 1958 as the Greater New Orleans Bridge. At its opening, the bridge was the longest cantilever bridge in the world although in terms of main span length, it was third, after the Forth Bridge and the Quebec Bridge. It carried two lanes of traffic in each direction and spurred growth in the suburban area known as the West Bank (named for its location on the western bank of the river although it is geographically southeast of New Orleans). Construction of the second span began in March 1981. Despite promises that it would be ready for the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition, it did not open to traffic until September 1988. The second span was originally designated as the Greater New Orleans Bridge No. 2. Both bridges were designed by Modjeski & Masters, Inc.. As soon as the new span was opened, the old span was temporarily closed in phases to replace the asphalt-on-steel deck with concrete. All the exits and entrances to the bridge were replaced as well.
Cecil Douglas Awesome pictures. Notice the iron workers not tied off. Back in the day.
Will T Henson Ironworkers didn’t have to tie off up until about 1993-94 somewhere in there.



9

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

10
Street View

No comments:

Post a Comment