Sunday, December 16, 2018

Passenger Coach Yards in Chicago


I have found two online sources for the 1915 Smoke Abatement Report:
I used to think the .pdf copy was a better scan. But I have discovered that the eBook did a better job with photos. I include copies from both sources for a map so that you can judge which is better. I enlarged both images until they began to show pixels. The .pdf indicated 150%. I could not get a percentage for the eBook, but I would say it was also around 150%.

You probably need to click and image and then save to disk and use a photo viewer to access the full resolution stored by the blog server.
Digitized by Google, p531



I could not find a key for this map in the report so I made my own:
The remaining images are from the eBook.

Digitized by Google, p529

Digitized by Google, p530

Digitized by Google, p532

Digitized by Google, p533

Digitized by Google, p534


Until I write an overview of the freight houses in Chicago, I'm going to park this here.
William Brown posted, rotated
I received the SFRH&MS,'s "the Warbonnet" Magazine today. It had a great article on the proposed replacement of La Salle Street Station, Dearborn and Grand Central Stations with a new Station. This map does a great of showing the Rock Island's downtown Chicago Facilities. The Chicago River Cross Dock and Elevator we're new for me.
William Brown posted with the same comment
William Brown posted with the same comment
Ted Coffey: The center of the railroad universe until the automobile and trucking
Christopher N. Kaufmann: Ted Coffey literally, and to think it was the vision of one 29-year-old man in 1835, William B Ogden, our first mayor.
https://digital.lib.niu.edu/islandora/object/niu-lincoln%3A38239

Jon Roma commented on William's third post


No comments:

Post a Comment