Sunday, March 29, 2020

CSX/L&N Trestle over Red River in the wilderness of KY

(Bridge HunterSatellite)

When I was looking at Google Maps, I was surprised how far I had to zoom out to find a town to find the county this bridge was in. (Bridge Hunter and Historic Bridges index their information by county.) That's why I went with "in the wilderness" in the title.

I was going to quit doing yet-another-trestle. But then I came across these drone shots of the transfer of the C&O 2716 from New Haven to Ravenna, KY. Since I have Terry's permission to use his photos in this blog, I couldn't resist looking for this trestle. As the Bridge Hunter and Satellite links indicate, I did find it.
Redeker Rail Video & Photography posted

Redeker Rail Video & Photography posted

I don't see photos of trestles very often with a good paint job.
1956 L&N Photo, License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA), via Bridge Hunter & American-Rails & posted
Louisville & Nashville 2-8-4 "Big Emma" #1953 steams southbound over Kentucky's Red River with a long string of coal on June 4, 1956.
[A comment states that Big Emma is northbound.]

Redeker Rail Video & Photography posted

Bridge Hunter

Dave Arganbright posted
When I was in college in the early 80's, I saw a picture of the L&N's Kentucky bridge over the Red river and decided that I would go look for it one day. On May 9, 1985 I witnessed a solid set of brand new SBD SD50's ferrying a coal train across that imposing infrastructure.

Photo from Kentucky Steam Heritage, License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

2 comments:


  1. The Big EMMA from 1956 is headed north vs. south.

    ReplyDelete