Thursday, December 7, 2023

Trail/DT&I Trestle over Paint Creek in Washington Court House, OH

(Satellite)

Brian Balzer posted
Detroit, Toledo, & Ironton [DT&I] tressel in downtown Washington Court House, Ohio, heading south for Wavery and Jackson. It now sits as an ornament on the city walking/cycling trail.
Troy Kleman: Henry Ford's railroad. The DT&I turned quite a profit under Ford's ownership.
Mike Kotler: My understanding is that the DT&I route via Waverly was abandoned because of a treacherous, sharp curve on the line that was notorious for derailments. They got trackage rights on a parallel route instead.
Tim Shanahan shared

The B&O had two routes through town, and the Pennsy also had a route through town.
1961 Washington Court House Quad @ 24,000

The DT&I shared one of the B&O routes through town.
1961 Washington Court House Quad @ 24,000

The DT&I route north of  Washington Court House (WCH) is now owned by the Indiana & Ohio Railway (IORY). And the remaining B&O routes are also owned by IORY.

The DT&I and B&O paralleled each other between here and WCH. The IORY now uses the B&O route on this segment and the DT&I tracks are sometimes used for storage. Because the IORY uses the B&O route, the DT&I upstream crossing of the river is also abandoned. But we can still see the footings of the DT&I bridge.
Satellite

The former-B&O bridges are also trestles.
Street View, Aug 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment