Friday, September 2, 2016

Harvest: Hay: Putting loose hay in a mow

20160731 4056c
The barn on my grandfather's farm used to have a track along the ridge of the mow and heavy rope hanging from a pulley on that rope. They have since removed the rope, pulleys, and the extension of the ridge at the end of the barn so that the pulley could be pulled outside. Ever since I caught pictures of this barn in Oregon that still had its ridge extension, I have been trying to figure out how to describe how a rope, pulleys and a ridge track were used to haul loose hay up from a wagon and into the mow.

Screenshot
Fortunately, I found a video that explains how a hay carrier worked. The video starts with square bales, but starting at 2:32 they demonstrate putting loose hay into the mound.

Taking another look at the Oregon bar, we can see the large mow door on the end of the barn. Then I found a photo of another barn that has not had the ridge extension or mow door removed. Unfortunately, it looks like they haven't done anything else to the barn as well, and it is showing the effects of no maintenance activity.
John Booth posted
small on the Eastern Colorado plains


20160804 4077
A motel we stayed in had a big picture of a barn over one of the beds. Note it has a ridge extension and big mow door. 
During the next trip I took on I-57 in northern Illinois, I kept an eye out for barns with ridge extensions. I discovered they are like corn cribs --- they still exist and can be spotted from the interstate. But I was doing the driving, so I didn't take any pictures.

20160723 3791
This is a picture of the barn on the farm on which my Grandfather was raised. I deliberately parked my van near the one door to help provide scale. The main part was built in 1927 and the wing was added in 1937. They used to raise sheep in it in the ground floor and the upper story was a very tall story that stored loose hay. Part of the first floor is now used to store farm equipment.
Another part of the first floor is used to raise 4-H projects (pigs, steer, etc.). The mow is used for some storage, but most of it is empty. Note there is still a rope left over from the loose hay days. The barn is big enough that I could not get all of the interior with an 18mm lens. With this vertical shot, I tried to capture how tall the mow story was compared to the first floor. I also wanted to capture some of the big posts and beams used to frame the barn.
This angle focuses on the the mow. I didn't notice it until I was looking at the picture --- the track still exists up at the ridge of the roof. (Thanks to the magic of high ISO settings in digital cameras, I can see more in a picture than I could with my naked eye.)

When balers were developed, they reinforced the floor of the mow and stacked bales in the mow to the roof. If you look at the original overall view of the green barn, you will see that the big mow door as been replaced by an eve window and some little mow doors were added along the sides. They would move an elevator from one mow door to another to fill the various parts of the mow.

Update:
Rand Swenson posted
Western MN.
Dan Jacobs posted several photos of Case equipment that he wanted to sell. Of note for this topic is the hay loader:
1
2
Darrin Critchet posted a some pictures of a hay loader he found with the comment:
Saved this unit. It was in excellent condition with very little wear. It was hiding in a barn built in 1877 in northern Ohio. What year is something like this from?
Richard Vandecreek Not exactly sure but those were made pretty late into the 40's or 50's
Neil Sutton Look good in our draft horse museum if u r interested
Darrin Critchet I actually sold it to an Amish farmer who tore it down and greased it and got it ready to go back to work.



1
2
comment
Jay Lane posted
20170316 8081, camera resolution
I was off the beaten path to get pictures of the Thompson Mill 1868 Covered Wood Bridge. I was so far off the beaten path I let my GPS figure out how to get to my next intended stop, Kinmundy, IL. (It still has a wood railroad water tank.) I noticed I was seeing several barns that still had ridge extensions. And I had not seen any cars on the narrow, country roads the GPS was using. So when I saw this barn that still had its big mow door, I stopped on the road and backed up to take a photo. (My wife was looking for cars in case one did come along.) Note the door is intact, it is just hinged down.

I took a couple of other pictures trying to get a good view without trees in the way. But the best view was as we left because the ropes and pulleys used to raise the hay were visible against the sky. (satellite)
Camera resolution of the following

There is a ridge on this one too, but it is hard to see because it faces the road; and, when they resided it, they removed the big mow door.


When I saw this barn...


...I pulled into the driveway to get a view clear of the power pole. Unfortunately, there was a shack in the way. But my wife likes to see those kinds of hand pumps.


And I was discovered the type of horse-drawn rake that was used to help gather up the hay.

Cropped from the above photo
The rake is not in a 2009 street view.

It appears that the barn still has the big mow door that hinges downward.



Screenshot from Jeff Klingenfus' posting



No comments:

Post a Comment