Saturday, September 10, 2016

Columbia River System Dams Overview

What I have noted so far:

20160905 5885
While flying to Portland, OR, I noticed a big blue line turning west. I assumed that was the Columbia River, so I watched it to see if I could find any dams. A satellite image does confirm this is a big turn of the Columbia River.
Teacher's Guide

I missed the McNary Lock & Dam at Umatilla.

I had an 18-55mm lens so all of the full-frame pictures would be at 55mm. That is, about what you can see with the naked eye.
I did catch the John Day Dam that is downstream of the John Day River inlet.

At camera resolution
Another angle at camera resolution
Downloaded Fact Sheet

Downloaded Fact Sheet


The Dalles Dam

Soon after this dam, the river curved north and then we encountered clouds so I was not able to see the river for the rest of the trip so I did not get photos of the Bonneville Lock and Dam.

More info on the Dalles Dam
Zoomed in
Update:
Andy Michel posted
Roll on, Columbia Roll on.   Statesman Journal   February 25th, 1981
 

Andy Michel posted
What New Dams and When?    The Spokesman-Review     December 5th, 1948
Rob Jordan: How can they possibly not show Rock Island (1933)? Built by the Washington Electric Company, a PSE relative. Federal Propaganda Designed to control the minds of people! Nothing has changed. I bet the Feds were jealous.
[I just did Rock Island a few days ago.]
 
Andy Michel posted
7,188,666 'Horses' Ready to be Harnessed!
Tri-City Herald    February 19th, 1950
Rob Jordan: Sure, Leave Wanapum Out

Andy Michel posted
Sell the PNW Dams and BPA???    Spokane Chronicle    January 17th, 1984

safe_image for USDA spotlights importance of Columbia-Snake navigation


No comments:

Post a Comment