Friday, June 8, 2018

Fed Ex Shipping Center

I was aware that J.B. Hunt built a shipping center in Corwith Yard decades ago, and UPS built a shipping center next to Willow Springs Yard a couple of decades ago. And I'm used to seeing containers and/or trailers from these two shipping companies on the BNSF intermodal trains that I see when I railfan. But lately I've noticed the trains have Fed Ex containers and trailers as well. So I wondered if Fed Ex had also built a shipping center in Chicago. When I did a Google Maps search, it labeled a vacant lot. But when I switched to street viewing, I found the following:

Street View from I-55, Sept. 2017
Street View from Damen and 29th, Jul 2017
This is on some of the land that used to be the Illinois Central's IMX intermodal facility. I'm looking forward to the satellite image being updated so that I can compare the size of this building with that of UPS.

(new window) An example BNSF intermodal train on the former CB&Q route in Downers Grove.


No comments:

Post a Comment