Monday, August 17, 2020

Google Lemonade: URL corruption bug has changed, but it still exists

I'm reporting this problem with a post instead of the feedback because I discovered that selecting a screenshot in the feedback form changes what is on the screen! But, having spent 25 years in software development and then 15 years in software testing, once I start thinking about a topic, I think of some tests to run.

In the following screenshot of a caption after it was unformatted, I had selected the lines that start with Dennis DeBruler to remove formatting. The two URLs in those lines had the correct links. But the link for "post" in the top line became the dreaded "https://www.blogger.com/#". Fortunately, I have learned to check the URLs before deleting my source material so I could bail out this bug by editing the post link. Of course all of this checking and fixing destroys my productivity even more.
Screenshot from PRR Baker Street Station

This "selected lines are OK but the others get damaged" behavior is exactly opposite of what the new version used to do because my workaround for the unformatting bug was to select only those lines that had URLs that I didn't care about. That is, they not only didn't fix the bug, they broke my workaround!



Since the Sept 1 Doomsday has not yet happened, I closed the above and opened it again with the legacy version to do an experiment.

First of all, I learned that the new version adds stuff without a <br/> at the end so that the legacy version can't add any more text. I had to edit the HTML just to be able to add more information.

Below is a recreation of what I had with the new version before I selected the grey lines and removed the formatting. That is, I entered the image and text again using the legacy version.

Jan Ramsey commented on Tommy's post
Was the Wabash RR on the back side of the Baker St Station. When I was 10 we went there for a trip to Ca. And later a friend from Indiana Tech work there.
Dennis DeBruler Jan Ramsey If you went to the east side of the Baker Street platforms, you would probably see the Wabash station across the tracks because it was one block East. Note that Wabash had a roundhouse east of the GE buildings.
1956 Fort Wayne West Quadrangle @ 1:24,000
<this is where a couple blank lines that were added by the legacy version have been removed by the new version>
I copied the above, selected the grey lines and unformatted. Note that the caption is still centered, not left-justified. And I verified that all of the URLs are still good. (I noticed that the selected text has a different font than the other text. I never noticed this before because with the legacy version, since I did not have to worry about bad URLs, I would always select all of the caption to unformat.)
Jan Ramsey commented on Tommy's post
Was the Wabash RR on the back side of the Baker St Station. When I was 10 we went there for a trip to Ca. And later a friend from Indiana Tech work there.
Dennis DeBruler Jan Ramsey If you went to the east side of the Baker Street platforms, you would probably see the Wabash station across the tracks because it was one block East. Note that Wabash had a roundhouse east of the GE buildings.
1956 Fort Wayne West Quadrangle @ 1:24,000
<this is where a couple of blank lines that were added by the legacy version have been removed by the new version>
Then I made another copy of the caption with the grey lines, closed this edit, went back to the new version, and selected the whole caption before unformatting.
Jan Ramsey commented on Tommy's post
Was the Wabash RR on the back side of the Baker St Station. When I was 10 we went there for a trip to Ca. And later a friend from Indiana Tech work there.
Dennis DeBruler Jan Ramsey If you went to the east side of the Baker Street platforms, you would probably see the Wabash station across the tracks because it was one block East. Note that Wabash had a roundhouse east of the GE buildings.

I was surprised to see that the caption was not left-justified. That is another change fore the new version. But all of the URLs are bad. Fortunately, I don't have to fix them in this post. So it looks like after Doomsday I'm not going to unformat my captions and they are going to have a mix of white and grey lines. This is going to leave a bunch of ugly HTML in the already bad HTML view because the grey lines have a bunch of <span>'s, etc.


ANOTHER LEMON: The new version threw away multiple blank lines that I had inserted with the legacy version!  When I studied GUI design in the 1990s, one of the tenets was that white space is important. I've been noticing that when I use the new version to add a photo to an existing post that the photos seemed to be jammed together tighter than normal.  (Update: The" jamming tighter" is because the new version is more accurately rendering the content. I had not added blank lines. So this "tightness" is an improvment. But I'm pretty sure I had blank lines as indicated above between a caption and the following text.)

Update:
When I removed the formatting from this caption by selecting all of the lines the URL was OK afterwords. So I can find no rhyme or reason as to when the URLs are changed.

In this case all but the last URL was bad.



10:47 update:
I've just added photos to three posts and none of them had bad URLs after a unformatted. Did a fix get released this evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment