Monday, March 6, 2017

BNSF/CB&Q Chicago Commuter Train Yard

(Update: the other terminal yard for this commuter service is in Aurora.)

Steven J. Brown posted two photos with the comment:
I get a now and then, twenty-nine years apart, AND a twenty-nine years ago today out of this post!
The Zephyr Pit in Chicago last week, February 24, 2017 and twenty-nine years ago today March 4, 1988! (Yes, I will ALWAYS call it the Zephyr Pit.)
1: BNSF line Metra trains in the Zephyr Pit, Chicago - February 24, 2017.

2: The fleet is in! Burlington Northern E's in the Zephyr Pit, Chicago - March 4, 1988.
Matt McClure 29 years ago the giant, rounded REA building existed just north of the commuter yard too. And the tower at Taylor Street. Miss them as well.Jim Shaw What purpose did those two multi story BN buildings serve?Bryan Howell Crooks Terminal Warehouses. The Q used some of the space for records storage. Some of which were saved but now languish in a leaky baggage car.
Satellite
Update:
William A. Shaffer posted
The Metra Fleet at High Noon
(Photo by William A. Shaffer)

1 comment:

  1. I am glad I found this blog!
    I love trains and industrial history
    I have just started looking at it and it looks great.
    I will check back often.

    ReplyDelete