Monday, February 22, 2016

Rush Street Bridge

(Bridge Hunter Old (first all-iron bridge was built in 1856 and destroyed in 1863 by cattle moving to one side of the bridge after it was opened), Bridge Hunter (1872 to 1920 when replaced by Michigan Avenue Bridge))
Richard Pitchford posted
Busy morning on the Rush St. Bridge, 1910, Chicago.
The Rush St. Bridge was dismantled shortly after completion of the Michigan Ave Bridge in the 1920s.
Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Art Institute of Chicago.
Glen Miller posted
River Street at Rush Street Bridge, 1914 or 1915. The Rush Street Bridge proved to be a serious holdup to traffic by the early twentieth century. On the south bank, Wabash and Michigan avenues both fed traffic onto River Street and then the bridge (Rush Street only ran on the north side of the river). The 1909 Plan of Chicago called for construction of a new bridge at Michigan Avenue and the redevelopment of River Street as Wacker Drive. Once the new Michigan Avenue Bridge was completed in 1920, the Rush Street Bridge was demolished.
Photographer: Hornby & Freiburg
Source: Chicago Historical Society (ICHi-04671)

Stacy Savic posted
Rush street bridge sometime between 1852 and 1859.
[
The view is to the northeast according to comments in a Facebook posting.]
Stacy Savic comment
Glen Miller posted
Very cool photo with a lot of detail which is typical from the 8 x 10 glass negatives from Detroit Publishing.
Chicago, 1905. "Chicago River east from Rush Street Bridge." Detroit Publishing Company glass negative, Library of Congress. (Image and text from Shorpy)
The tug, Harry C. Lydon, was built in 1898 in Benton Harbor, MI. (Maritime History of the Great Lakes). She was employed by the Chicago and Great Lakes Dredge and Dock company which was a subsidiary of the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company, which still exists.
The tug's namesake, Harry C. Lydon, was vice-president of the Chicago & GT Lakes D & D Co. and brother of William A. Lydon, President and co-founder of the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock company. Harry died in November 1903 at age of 32.
The tug is towing a barge of what appears to be dredge spoil, perhaps related to the project referenced in the following article.
Detroit Free Press, Sep. 6, 1904
CHANNEL WORK PROGRESSING
Toledo, September 5. - Great progress has been made with the enlargement of the straight channel. Manager Murray, of the Chicago and Great Lakes Dredge and Dock company, which is doing the work, said yesterday after examining the work out in the bay, that the inner end of the channel will be finished by early in November. Thus there will be a channel 400 feet wide and twenty-one feet deep from the crib lights to the Wheeling bridge. Next summer the outer and shorter end of the channel from the crib range to the new harbor light will be completed.
The three masted schooner tied up by Kirk Factory #2 is very much a commercial vessel. She's showing her age too. These ship would have stayed in service for years after steamers became common. They'd stay in service pretty much until they wore out. Probably the most famous fishing schooner of them all, the Bluenose (the ship on the Canadian dime) was in commercial service in 1946when she went down off of Haiti.
This leading hardware dealership was the descendant of a Chicago store called Tuttle, Hibbard & Co., which took that name in 1855 when William G. Hibbard became a partner. In 1865, Hibbard was joined by Franklin F. Spencer, and the enterprise was renamed Hibbard & Spencer. By 1867, the company's annual sales of hardware had reached $1 million. When longtime company employee A. C. Bartlett became a partner in 1882, the company's name became Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett & Co. When Spencer died in 1890, the company was already among the leading wholesalers of hardware in the United States. In 1903, the year Hibbard died, the company opened a 10-story warehouse next to State Street Bridge in downtown Chicago. In 1932, the company introduced a new line of hand tools under the brand name "True Value."
Update:
Growing up in Chicago  posted
1921 - Aerial view of the Wrigley Building and surroundings.
David Pomeroy North tower not yet completed until 1924

ChicagoLoopBridges shared it with the comment:
The Michigan Ave bridge was opened to traffic in 1920. In this photo, you can see the bridgehouses in various stages of construction. What looks like a barge in the river just to the left of Michigan Ave is the Rush St swing bridge which the new bridge replaced.

Tony Gutierrez posted
New Michigan Ave. Bridge on the left and the start of the disassembling of the Rush St. Bridge on the right.
Chicago's Past History of The Windy City posted
Wrigley Building
Chicago 1921
From Chicago Past
[The swing bridge in the lower-left corner is the Rush Street Bridge. The new Michigan Avenue Bridge is out of frame to the left..]



No comments:

Post a Comment