Monday, February 15, 2016

Kerosene Tractors

When I go to tractor shows, I see lots of tractors from the age of streamlining. But the only rather old tractor I've seen was a Hart-Parr at a big show in Ohio. So when I came across Billy Donegan posting of a lot of tractors closer to the turn of the century, I did a photo dump. (Update: I found several old tractors at a local show.   Northern Lights Oliver Collectors posted a long history and 21 photos for Hart-Parr.)

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Billy Donegan posted

Steam Engines, Tractors, Trains, & More shared Gary Yaeger's photo.
Update:
Bryon Weesner posted
RI train with new Hart-Parr tractors.

Kelly Barnett posted to a Hart-Parr Group
At times I ponder things that pop out at me from old photos. In this one the first thing that comes to mind is "I wonder what the fella on the plow was thinking about to bide his time while riding along from one location to the next?". This photo shows a pretty good representation on what was entailed to work the region in the early to mid teens. The other thing that comes to mind is "It would be a pain in the butt to hook all that stuff together for transport.".
Alister Anderson: l guess cultivation contractors traveled North with the season just as harvesting contractors do.

Kelley Barnett shared
Graham Carmel Worsnop: Enjoyed this photo. I well remember my mum telling me how she remembered from a teenager watching trains like this, steam traction engine towing a threshing mill and all it’s accoutrements of operation from farm to farm in Central Otago in New Zealand. The area was recognised for its high quality oats and barley and some wheat but New Zealand’s main area for wheat was further north in Canterbury where the same rigs were a common a sight on the roads there.

A 1:03 video of a 12-24. It's 2-cylinder engine reminds me of John Deere's putt-putt tractors.

No comments:

Post a Comment