Friday, June 2, 2017

Denver, CO: CB&Q Non-Carload Freight Railyard

Non-carload freight would be things like LCL (Less than Car Load) freight and the freight house, US Mail, REA, and produce. Most of these tracks are gone today. To my surprise, BNSF does still have a carload freight yard. I wonder where their intermodal yard is.

Carl Venzke posted
Denver, Colorado, 1958
Glen Brewer Carl, do you know who was the photographer?
Carl Venzke I think it might be a Fred Springer but I can't be sure.
Dennis DeBruler As with Chicago, the Meadow Gold cold storage building is still standing because the thick walls make it too expensive to tear down.
Dennis DeBruler The white building in the right background is part of the Union Station. The black lines in the background would be the old platform covers.
I rode the Amtrak California Zephyr to Denver a few times in the 1970s and 80s, and I remember the train had to (slowly!) back into Union Station. My girls liked the train ride, so we would take the sleeper whenever the tickets were cheaper than flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment