Monday, December 5, 2016

US-51/60/62 over Ohio River in Cairo, IL

20161126 6760rc, South (Kentucky) Portal
(Bridge Hunter, Historic BridgesSatellite)

I was shocked to read in Historic Bridges that Kentucky wants to destroy this bridge. First of all, the traffic is on I-57, not these US highways. The traffic on this bridge was light when I spent some time in the area. A streetview also shows light traffic. I think a third lane is needed on I-65 between Indianapolis and the Chicago area long before four lanes are needed here. If four lanes are deemed necessary, then I agree with Historic Bridges --- build another two-lane bridge. The new bridge should be on the downstream side so that it doesn't interfere with the sight lines from the Cairo boat launch.
Upstream Elevation

Screenshot

No comments:

Post a Comment