Wednesday, August 9, 2017

GM&O Corwith Tower: CN/GM&O/Alton vs. BNSF/Sante Fe

(Satellite) I'm assuming from the name of the tower that it was where the Santa Fe crossed the GM&O to enter Corwith Yard.
Roger Holmes posted
In August of 1971 I was working on the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio's extra board as a leverman, operator and relief agent and found myself at Corwith tower in Chicago. Passing is a transfer run powered by a pair of ex-Illinois Terminal ALCO RS-1's en route to Glen Yard. My only regret is that I didn't shoot this in color. The second unit is still in IT colors and the contrast with the green and yellow and the freshly painted GM&O, well, it looked like a circus! In fact this transfer job earned the nickname, "Circus Train"! More that once would I receive a phone call or hear on the radio inquiring where the circus train was. Someone on the C&O spoiled it when he got ahold of some bright blue Chessie paint and painted "Circus" on the side of the green and yellow loco. It was soon repainted into the solid red. © Roger A. Holmes.
Update: Mike Mowen posted three photos with the comment: "From when I worked at the Former GMO/ IC / CN Corwith Tower near Chicago."

1

2

3

No comments:

Post a Comment