As did many other interurban lines, The Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Company built Dellwood Park to promote ridership on the line during the weekends. It opened July 4, 1905. It was common for a company to sponsor a picnic for their employees in this park. In addition to an amusement park, a grandstand that held 5,000 spectators for events such as baseball games and sulky races, and a scenic railroad; they built a dam to create a lake for swimming and boating in the summer and for ice skating in the winter [patch and LockportHistory] Dellwood is now a regular park with playground equipment, baseball diamonds, pavilions and parking lots.
|20170724,25 0541rc, part of an interpretive sign|
The text on the sign about this photo is:
Visitors to Dellwodd Park, as shown in this early 1900s scene, were greeted by the spectacular panorama of a man-made lagoon, waterfall, and boathouse. Walks led to other amusements, over bridges and along limestone bluffs.
As many as 10,000 people came here on summer weekends, day and evening, with boating and dancing being the popular attractions. The dance pavilion could accommodate 700 couples and attracted famous bands. Societies and clubs also held social events in the park.
|Brian Smith shared|