|Heinz History Center posted|
August 1941: The West End Bridge was designed by George S. Richardson and built by Allegheny County in 1932. The bridge is 1,891 feet in overall length. From north to south, there are four Warren Pony trusses and the main span that has a 778-foot tied arch. When it was built, the vertical clearance was 73 feet, and today it is 66 feet. The bridge connects the North Side and the West End neighborhoods of Pittsburgh.
Today's #throwbackthursday image is from the Allegheny Conference on Community Development Photographs, Detre Library & Archives at the History Center.
Saturday, August 12, 2017
West End Bridge in Pittsburgh, PA
(Bridge Hunter, Historic Bridges, Satellite (95+ photos))