Friday, September 29, 2017

NS/NKP Bridge over St. Marys River in Fort Wayne, IN

(Bridge Hunter, 3D SatelliteStreet View from Main, Street View from Sherman)

The satellite and street views would be of today's NS/N&W/NKP bridge. This 1889 bridge would not be able to hold the "big steam locomotives" that NKP ran in the 20th Century.
Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana posted
St. Mary's River from west Main Street bridge, 1889, showing stone factory or mill with smokestack by iron bridge. ACPL
Matt Reibs River Greenway to the left, parking lot to the right in modern times.
[Since the NKP used the right-of-way of the Wabash and Erie Canal, there probably was an aqueduct here over the St. Marys River in the mid 1800s. (Update: Tom's History describes the mill and the covered aqueduct that proceeded this bridge.)]


Becky Osbun also posted
Rick Brandt The view is looking North. The trestle seems farther away, I think, because the original Main St bridge was farther South than today's bridge.
Randy Harter This is the Orff Mill, however, it had other names/owners over the years. The mill was on the east side of the St Mary’s, just south [actually, north] of the Main St bridge. The tiny triangular shaped park there on Main with the statue of the boys who swam in the aqueduct is sitting in the eponymous Orff Park. While this was originally an overshot mill driven by water diverted from the Wabash & Erie Canal (which closed in 1874) in this photo we can see the smokestack indicating it was has been converted to steam engine.

Update:
Kenneth Childers posted
Wells Street Bridge over the St. Mary's River [posted by Downtown Fort Wayne, facebook, 2017-07-30]
[A lot of comment agree with Kenneth that this is the Wells Street Bridge, but clearly, it is the NS/NKP Bridge. The bridge in the background is the Main Street Bridge because of the concrete arches.]

Photo from Kenneth Childers' posting
'Wabash and Erie Canal aqueduct at Fort Wayne' [Pictorial History of Fort Wayne Griswold 1917]
Fourth photo posted by David Coleman
Great Memories and History of Fort Wayne, Indiana posted
Photo of the painting by Ralph Dille of the Wabash and Erie Canal Aqueduct over the St. Mary's River at Fort Wayne. Aqueduct also known as the St. Mary's Aqueduct. 1882.

Chris Gleason posted
[Fortunately, the comments confirmed it was this NS/NKP bridge.]

Screenshot @ -0:14

No comments:

Post a Comment