Friday, April 22, 2016

New Haven Foundry

(Satellite)

Curt Danielewicz shared Fred Dennett's photo
I was going to pass on this picture until I read some of the comments. They give some insight into railroading and heavy industry (and why we now have OSHA).

Cortera describes it as a "Gray and Ductile Iron Foundary." The building no longer exists. Judging by the list of cars received, they were shipping all of their product with trucks by 1974.

Charles Geletzke Jr. Received six gon loads of scrap, two C&O covered hoppers with molding sand, two C&O hoppers with coke (X-DC) six days a week(M-Sat), and an occasional boxcar carrying foundry additives.

Ben Planck Hey CH, remember that BIG kick CF made? It was heading to the crossing. In order to stop the car I had to go up the ladder (A) run on top of the coke to reach the hand brake.on the other end(B)! That was train No. 454 with three GP9s.

Charles Geletzke Jr. BH: Yes, I do recall that. You were just like a cat covering ___! You definitely averted disaster!

Ben Planck Sure took the wind out me. Good thing we young at the time.

Charles Geletzke Jr. That was the only location that I ever received a personal injury during my entire working career...got a piece of steel in my eye in 1968.

Dan Meinhard You should have worked in the medical clinic there and see some of the injuries due to incompetence that occurred! When I would leave work, I would take the soot ladened uniform off in my laundry room and shower all that black soot / sand off if me. That was a filthy place to work! When did rail service end? What was the track arrangement?

13 comments:

  1. I worked there for a day and a half

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Why only a day and a half?
      Unbearable?

      Delete
  2. My parents came to Michigan in 1966 or 67, he started working at foundry some time after. I don't know how long he stayed there but, my told me that he would come home filthy head to toe. He died of lung cancer at the age of 59

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know who made the furnaces located in the foundry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked there in 1999 as a mil Wright. It was brutal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, millwright. I was in charge of oil and water also maintenance on the mold machines

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember thinking as a child how terrible that place looked & wondered why anyone would work there. I recently did a brief job at the Ford Dearborn plant & checked out their foundry...same thought crossed my mind

    ReplyDelete
  7. I worked there in 1974 for about 2 months, the money was good but it sucked and parking was across the rail road tracks, I worked 2nd shift and on Fridays you had to be extra carful going to your car because the low life local bone heads would rob you of your pay, they never got me because i was ready for them (bang bang )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 70 now hired in may of "74" twenty/Five and out! two the day!!! I retired may of "99" worked every department except electrical. Country INN and the Buffalow bar Emmet !! wife would not hang my undies. out when they were clean they were orange. cancer twice!! blind in one eye from a stroke, and still miserable but here ROCKY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grinding room you could ware a Pair of gloves out in 20 min. you did not lay yore gloves down. knives always in pocket and most were packing but a fun place ta work!!! lived through it!! I met some real people!! and some that have my back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stood at the Main gate looking a red hot castings you could feel the heat from them and this guy the gate guy his name was Russ. why i remember that i don't know but he said go home . I'm like what!! he said it's too!! hot ! soooo! I turn around and the two hundred people that were behind me just disappeared my first day on the job .second day now were having fun walk into a black fog the grinding room the firkin air was black and I mean that a fucking black fog!!!! this guy walked me too a spot a drinking fountain the water is orange an I'm like dam I have too do this and you have no idea what lies beyond a hard ass life still here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please avoid f-bombs. So far this blog is family friendly, and I'd like to keep it that way.

      Delete
  11. was a hard life but still here!!

    ReplyDelete