Saturday, May 13, 2017

Railroad on Goose Island and Big Bay Lumber

Paul Strubeck comment
search for "goose island" there is another posting that has been started!


Facebook


video
Nikki Burgess posted
A rainy dawn on Goose Island on Chicago's near north side finds a Wisconsin Central lumber flat patiently awaiting unloading on Cherry Avenue. The city skyline looms through the misty morning. Sadly, this trackage, one of the more out-of-the-way corners of the old Milwaukee Road, is out of service now.
Blair Hooistra comment on above posting
My Goose Island shot. Right about where you shot it. May 18, 2014.
[This is further north than I have ever seen a car parked because you can also see the spur that used to go into the lumber company.]
Tommy Thompson posted
Spotting Big Bay Lumber on Goose Island. April 2012

Mike Mihaly Janusek shared
This is one of my all-time favorite Milwaukee Road photos that I have. I had scoured Goose Island street trackage for some time previous to this shot. Then, years later, I was visiting the Goose Island Brewery in 2004 and I walked into the street nearby and this little freight consist was rolling down the street ! I could not believe the timing.... My father was with me and he took this shot of me while I was shooting the same way freight. !!! I had not even known that that the Milwaukee owned the Goose Island trackage... Such a pleasant surprise.... This was, of course, after the Soo take-over, but this unit was not re-painted except for the gaudy word, "Soo" painted on the side, if I remember correctly...
[Note, it is pulling cars of lumber.]
Update; Iowa Pacific's Chicago Terminal Railroad has parked a bunch of tank cars on its Goose Island tracks. They are probably trying to force the developers in the area to buy their right-of-way. I contributed a couple of photos to the posting.

Dennis DeBruler commented on a posting
 I read the Z-6 Bridge had been repaired after the copper vandals stripped it. When I heard the Big Bay Lumber Yard  quit getting cars, I made a trip in the winter of 2015 to grab pictures before the track disappeared. Here is a shot northwest up Cherry from Bliss. The cars you see setting on Cherry is gridlock at Division Street. And I never did see a clear shot acrosss North. It had gridlock in both directions.
Dennis DeBruler commented on a posting
I had my daughter drive me around Chicago so that I could grab pictures of bridges, etc. Here I'm looking southeast from Diversity. In May 2015 the Big Bay Lumber Yard was still receiving cars. But they didn't bother to use their siding. They unloaded them from street parking.
The Chicago Tribune wrote about the "railroad trolls."

Kris Rumbut posted 20 photos of Chicago Terminal pulling out their stored tand cars on 10/2/17.

Rail cars roll off Goose Island, but 'railroad troll' to bring them back






No comments:

Post a Comment