Wednesday, December 25, 2024

1875-1972,2011 Medora Covered Bridge over East Fork of White River near Medora, IN

(Satellite)

Satolli Glassmeyer posted
*New  Documentary*
Medora!  Longest  Covered  Bridge  in  the  United  States!
Two  important  aspects  about  this  documentary.  First,  for  over  10  years  I  have  been  trying  to  find  someone  to  fund  a  video  project  about  this  very  historic  bridge.  That  finally  happened  two  weeks  ago  and  without  their  help,  this  video  would  never  exist.  Thank  you!  Secondly,  I  was  told  about  where  I  could  find  the  initials  of  the  stone  masons  who  built  the  abutments  and  piers  in  1875  and  I  found  them!!!!  The  story  is  in  the  comments  below.
Tim Berry: The Cornish-Windsor Covered Bridge between Cornish, NH and Windsor Vermont is 449' 5" and still carries traffic, two spans.
[Why don't people just include the link in the description?]

431' long (131m)
The state spent over a million dollars in 2011 to restore the bridge.
I watched this video when it showed up in my YouTube feed. I don't like "come explore with me (i.e. watch me walk)" videos so I stopped watching at 12:00 when I got another ad.

Rick Morwick posted
Medora Covered Bridge, longest historic covered bridge in the U.S. Built in 1875, it spans the White River at 461 feet [140.5m] (Medora, Ind.).
Mike Santosusso: If you judge length by the space between the river supports (clear span), the Medora is longer. If you judge it by the total length of the wooden superstructure (truss length), the Cornish-Windsor is longer. Historic bridges aside, the Smolen-Gulf is the longest in the US.
Margaret Morse: Ashtabula, Ohio: Longest Covered Bridge in U.S.
Covered bridge over the Ashtabula River is 613 feet [187m] long, with pedestrian walkways on both sides. Dedicated in 2008. Beats the previous record-holder, a 449-foot[137m] long span between Vermont and New Hampshire that was built in 1866.

Leigh Ann Martin Hawkins commented on Rick's post
Picture I took of the inside of the Medora Covered Bridge in 2020💜


No comments:

Post a Comment