#16: (Satellite, I could not find the lock, but the Great Miami River Recreational Trail shows were the canal used to be.) Picayune Lock
#17, original location: (Satellite, based on topo map below.)
#17, current location: (Satellite)#18: (Satellite)
I could not find the exact location of this lock, but Randy's comment below indicates that it was near the south end of Miami County. And that is consistent with the "Hopyard at Lock 16" label.
The lock was a little north of the county line.
![]() |
| M&E189-55.zip via ohiodnr |
Lock #17
Four 2021 photos by Craig Doda from the hmdb webpage.
![]() |
| 1 Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 Marker |
![]() |
| 2 . Miami and Erie Canal Lock No. 17 |
![]() |
| 3 Looking East |
![]() |
| 4 Looking West |
This lock was moved to be part of the Carillon Historical Park. On this map, it was the two upside down V's between Chambersburg and Fishburg Road.
![]() |
| 1904/56 Dayton Quad @ 62,500 |
Lock #18
On the above map, this would be the two upside down V's just south of Fishburg Road.
4 of 8 photos posted by Tim Snyder with the comment: "Visited two locks from the Miami and Erie Canal. The first four photos are from Canal Lock Park in Huber Heights, OH. Sadly, the park has no historical markers for the casual visitor. The next four are from Canal Lock Park in Tipp City, OH, which did indeed have a historical marker that identified the lock as Lock Number 15 on the Miami and Erie Canal. Adjacent to the lock is what appears to be replica canal packet boat in need of maintenance."
Randy Westfall: In Miami co there are still lock 16 which is on private property
14 and 13 on the bike path between Troy and Tipp
12 was in Troy where Kettering hospital is now 11 would of been at eldean rd
Lock 10 was at Farington road 12-10 are no longer standing
Lock 9 Piqua
Lock 8 Johnston farm
7 landman mill road
6 just south of landman mill
The last five are just south of Miami County in lockington
There are still 8 standing in Miami co
![]() |
| 1 |
![]() |
| 2 |
![]() |
| 3 |
![]() |
| 4 |
Lock #19
On the above topo map, the upside down V's are missing for this lock.
![]() |
| Gregg A. Montgomery commented on a post I own M&E lock 19 south. 700 yards south of Endicott and Powell. Circa 1833 Mark Rogers: Gregg A. Montgomery I'm trying to find the location of lock 19 on a satellite map. I found a survey map of the canal from 1898 which shows the location of locks 17, 18, and 19. However, I can't decipher the scale. If I can see how far 18 and 19 are from one another, I should be able to find the original location of 17. As you know, 17 was removed and rebuilt in Carillon Park. I used to think that 17 was where the Taylorsville dam is, but I'm beginning to think it may have been a little south of there. Would it be possible for you to provide the GPS coordinate for lock 19, so I can find it's location on the map? Next, I'm going to find lock 11, somewhere north of Troy. Gregg A. Montgomery: Mark Rogers lock 17 S. was dug out in 1950 and is removed to a Carillon Park it’s gone 18 south is in the city of Huber Heights at the park at Endicott in Fishberg 19 S. is approximately 3/4 of a mile south of 18 in an underdeveloped area, I cannot do coordinates and I want to keep it very private because the ATVs and 4 wheeler guys I don’t want in there |
![]() |
| Gregg A. Montgomery commented on his comment Not restored. |












No comments:
Post a Comment