Sunday, October 21, 2018

UP/C&NW CPY011/25th Ave/JN Interlocking

(Satellite) Of course, the tower has been replaced by a signalling equipment cabinet.
no Chicago and Northern Indiana Railroad Interlocking Towers

William Shapotkin posted three photos with the comment: "Here are three pix of JN Interlocking (25th Ave in Melrose Park, IL) on the C&NW. Note that (in the interior photo) JN also controlled Vale Interlocking (River Forest) remotely."

Vale is now CPY010 and my 2005 SPV Map shows it is east of a river and west of the River Forest station. So I assume this is it.

1

2

3

I searched for this tower in a 1938 aerialsabout a year ago, but I could not find it. These photos provided better clues as to its location, and I believe I did find it in this image.

Dec 2005 Global Earth
Knowing where it was, it was easy to find it on an older photo.

1938 Aerial Photo from ILHAP

Update:  Mike Chrisman posted two photos with the comment: "UP #1989 Heritage Unit EMD SD70Ace + (2) UP Locomotives hitched to a full coal drag waiting for a green signal.
Views are from the RT.45 (Manheim Road) [second photo] and 25th Street Overpasses [first photo] in Bellwood, Illinois.
Photo: M.Chrisman 10/13/19"
Neal Merz I got UP 1989 at the Oak Park Metra Station yesterday.

1
2

Dennis DeBruler commented on  Mike's post

Jerry Jackson commented on  Mike's post
I'd say this spot has changed just a little from when I shot this. Looking east from just a short distance west of the IHB in 1989.
You would now be standing near the flyover bridge built by the CREATE B2 Project.
https://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/.../create-b2-b3...

Dennis DeBruler commented on  Mike's post
Near the signal equipment hut in Mike's first photo was the JN Interlocking Tower. This is one of three photos of the tower posted by William Shapotkin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1270038776414622/permalink/2026364404115385/
Jerry Jackson I was typing this when you posted this shot!
Dennis. I grew up in Bellwood, lived there from 1947 until 1969. First at 320 24th and then 3120 Wilcox ave. As a kid I used to ride my bike up to the tower that was at the N/W corner of 25th and the CNW. My Grandfather was a CGW Conductor which gave me a small "in" to the tower itself. The tower controlled the east end of Proviso. I've inquired about the tower on all the CNW and CGW pages on FB but to no avail as to more info.
Mike Chrisman Dennis DeBruler , I grew up in Elmhurst, I remember as a kid a tower like that in town, not to far from the model railroad club in the basement of some building. Tower long gone.

Jerry Jackson commented on  Mike's post
The steel company that straddled 25th ave was an interesting place too.

Jerry Jackson commented on  Mike's post
No photo credit given.
Mike Chrisman  Dennis DeBruler , I grew up in Elmhurst, I remember as a kid a tower like that in town, not to far from the model railroad club in the basement of some building. Tower long gone.
Jerry Jackson commented on  Mike's post
Mike Chrisman  Jerry Jackson , I worked in Melrose Park for many years. Had to wait at the grade crossing at CNW to back to St. Charles Road to go home. It was dreadful. Good times though.
Dennis DeBruler A side-dump car dumped some ballast and then itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment