Source: 1991 Map, © www.MemorialLibrary.com, used with permission and is authorized for this site only.
Freight was handled on this branch by trains #85 and #86 that went between Cicero and Zearing via Streator.
|First Page of Incorporation|
Between June, 1886, and September, 1887, the Star Coal Company constructed a track from a connection with the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad Company at Streator northwesterly at a point near the village of Ripley. This track was purchased by this company and extended
to Walnut. Construction commenced at connection near Ripley in August, 1887, and the road was completed between Streator and Walnut June 1, 1888, a total distance (first main) of 59.9 miles. (CorporateHistory)
The town of Ripley must have been located near Streator in 1888 instead of the current location southwest of Peoria.
BNSF Track Segments has the abandonment information:
Note that Illinois RailNet became Illinois Railways (IR) on May 1, 2005.61. Streator-Zearing
History: 1888 by CB&QAbandoned: 1946-Kasbeer-Walnut (connected to segment 9 at Walnut)1954-Zearing-Kasbeer1977-L&S Jct-La Salle1980-L&S Jct-StreatorSold: 2004-Illinois RailNet
The western terminus of the IR Zearing-LaSalle segment is a connection with the BNSF mainline to Colorado --- the Mendota subdivision. The reason the original western terminus was Walnut, IL is because that was a connection with CB&Q/Illinois Grand Trunk Railway.
|Satellite plus Paint|
|Michael Matalis posted in Facebook|
|Don Crimmin posted in Facebook|
Eastbound Illinois Railway job returns from Zearing, IL, to La Salle, IL, behind CF7 No. 5 and Great Western Railway GP20 5625. 5625 was originally one of the EMD demonstrator set for the GP20 model. The Brush Creek trestle is located west of Ladd, IL, on the former CB&Q - BN branch. January 5, 2012.