Monday, August 26, 2019

MoW: BNSF Track Lifter



Chris Rhoads posted three photos with the comment: "One of the 1st, if not the 1st, track lifters made by BNSF."
From what I gather from the comments, they use this for two functions.

One is to raise the track in flood prone areas.
JC Walker High lift. Lifts track out of mud at 1-2 mph over 6” or so. Another group dumps ballast then the tampers lift more.
Chris Rhoads JC Walker correct I have seen them cut 12”.. in one pass.
The other function is undercutting. They use a blade instead of a chain to shove the old ballast to the side.
Jeff Schurman That is the second one built by BNSF in Brainerd, MN by BNSF employees.
Chris Rhoads Jeff Schurman I heard that there is talk of making a 5th unit, but don’t know for sure.
Jeff Schurman Chris Rhoads not sure.
We built the first two while I was still at the shop and they have a third now after I retired.
1, cropped

2, cropped

3, cropped
(new window)



Another video of a lifter in action



3 comments:

  1. Very Information Post
    thanks For Haring with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Article,Thank you for sharing the information.https://khetigaadi.com/implement-by-type/MzA=/en

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing such a useful information. I will definitely share this with my team in khetigaadi.com

    ReplyDelete