Friday, August 16, 2019

Two Porter Junctions in Northwest Indiana

I've discovered that I had some mistakes in my notes because I confused the two junctions in Northwest Indiana that both had the name "Porter." This post provides the "big picture" as part of my effort to fix those mistakes.



Concerning the satellite image below.

The orange lines were the EJ&E Porter Branch.
The yellow line was the Michigan Central track. Now Amtrak owns MC north of here and CSX owns MC south of here.
The red dot indicates where the PO Tower used to stand. I used a circle because the long side was on a diagonal along the MC tracks.
The EJ&E Portor Tower, which is now totally abandoned, was at the east side of this excerpt. That junction is actually in Chesterton, IN.

See PO Tower and EJ&E Porter for more details concerning the two junctions.
Satellite

Note that there were quite a few interchange yards in this area.
1940 Porter Quadrangle, 1:62500

No comments:

Post a Comment