Thursday, October 2, 2014

Roundhouse Footprint in Columbus Ohio

Industrial Archeology evidence of steam locomotive servicing is one of my interests. When I arrived in the Chicago area in the 1970s, I made a point of studying quad maps to find roundhouses and then go photograph them. Posting those pictures is one of the reasons I started this blog. But doing field trips has priority because I need the exercise. To my surprise, one can still find remnants of roundhouses and coaling towers. 

I saw a Facebook posting that is worth noting. It has pictures of extensions welded to a turntable to handle bigger locomotives. And it explained where to find the footprint of the roundhouse that is in the pictures. I have also learned that road salt would be another product that is shipped in a block of covered gondola cars.

Update: this was part of Pennsy's 20th Street Shops.
Satellite


No comments:

Post a Comment