Thursday, June 9, 2022

Chicago, IL: 1973 Willis/Sears Tower

(3D Satellite)

This is the second "Sears Tower" in Chicago. The first one was part of their 1904 Mail Order Plant on Homan Avenue. The tower provided a good view of the railroad yards that used to be south of the loop.

Michael Wesolowski posted
July 27, 1970 – Sears, Roebuck and Company, the largest retailer in the world, announces its plans to build the world’s tallest building on South Wacker Drive between Adams Street and Jackson Boulevard. With 4.4 million square feet of interior space, the $100-million-dollar building will be the largest privately-owned office building in the world. Gordon Metcalf, the chairman and chief executive officer of Sears, says that the building’s 1,451 feet is as high as the Federal Aviation Administration will permit. About 16,000 workers are expected to work in Sears Tower with Sears initially occupying less than two million square feet, leasing the remainder of the building. Mayor Daley greets the news enthusiastically, saying, “On behalf of the people of Chicago, I want to thank Sears for the confidence they are showing in the future, in planning and designing the building which will adorn the west side.” [Chicago Tribune, July 28, 1970]. Sears Tower will rise on a two-block piece of land that has been assembled by private developers over a five-year period, beginning in 1964. A total of 15 “grime blackened” buildings, purchased from 100 owners, will be torn down to make way for the project. Sears will also pay the city $2.7 million to vacate Quincy Street between Franklin Street and Wacker Drive. The architecture firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill will design the tower with Bruce Graham acting as lead designer on the project. These are heady times for the company as sales in 1969 reached $8.9 billion with net income totaling more than $440 million. Metcalf says that the company expects to increase sales by a billion dollars in 1970. It is expected that the project will increase the redevelopment of the south branch of the river, where momentum for change has gained headway with the development of the Gateway Center on the opposite where two 20-story buildings are already complete and a 35-story tower is under construction. The photo shows Sears Tower in 1973 as it begins to come out of the ground.
[There are several comments about why they went downhill.]
Jim Whaley: That photo was almost certainly taken earlier, possibly in 1971 but certainly no later than early 1972. I began my apprenticeship in October 1972 installing metal Curtainwall and at that time we were in the 60th floor range.
Brian Bram: The Sears Tower was, in fact, the tallest building in the world (taller than the World Trade Center in NYC) for almost 25 years. It stayed the tallest building in the western hemisphere for 41 years until 2013.
Robert Moynihan: I worked installing the elevators from the 20’th floor up to topping off the building. Westinghouse put in the original elevators. Many of our men died installing the elevators along with a few iron workers. I’m sure there were others I’ve long forgotten about. RIP you hard working men.
Paul Kuhn: Robert Moynihan Five workers died: https://www.reference.com/.../many-people-died-building...
Robert Moynihan: Paul Kuhn thank you Paul. I worked at Sears for 1 1/2 years and wouldn’t you know it that I woke up sick but went to work anyway. I got all the way to the building and ended up getting sick right out front and went back home. Our superintendent called my moms house asking where I was, he saw my hard hat in the locker and couldn’t believe I didn’t come to work. He actually told my mom to go in my bedroom and physically touch me then explain why I was at home. My mom asked why and all he told her was to turn on out tv cause there was a bad accident. I guess God had different plans for me that day. The guys that died were on the rail washing gang which if I would have showed up late I would have been on that crew. After OSHA reopened the building another helper came up to me and hugged me telling me that since I stayed home he went with my mechanic that day and he’s alive cause I was sick. That always stayed with me.

Jeff Incrocci posted
Sears Tower Happy Fiftieth Anniversary

Historic Chicago posted
Sears Tower under construction (1971)
Ronny posted
Sears Tower under construction (1971)
Mike Glazik: That’s plumbed with all cast iron, poured lead joints and copper plumbing. Probably all Extra Heavy Cast which is very impressive. Probably up to 15” inch in Diameter I’m guessing. Crazy! Maybe even galvanized threaded piping too.
Philip Gmann: Mike Glazik today pvc n pex. Lol
Mike Glazik: Philip Gmann nope, their still pouring lead joints and using all M copper for DWV and Potable in those buildings.
 
Historic Chicago posted
View from the Sears Tower, under construction. (1972)
James Torgeson shared
The American Bridge Division of US Steel erects the Sears Tower in Chicago.
[This steel mill share has some interesting comments.]

Jeff Incrocci posted
Sears Tower
 
Beauty of America posted
The Sears Tower, now known as the Willis Tower, during its construction phase in 1972 was an incredible sight to behold. It was a symbol of Chicago's growth and development into one of the most iconic cities in America.
[In the right background, the AON Center/Amoco/Standard Oil building is also being built.]

TheSkydeck

This building pioneered "tubular design."
wikiarquitectura

I presume that since the broadcast antennas were added 11 years after the building opened, they would not be considered spires no matter how fancy they made them look. I wonder why the FAA changed its mind about the allowed height. I also wonder where 1,729' would rank in the world today.
SkyscraperCenter
It is #3 in the US and #23 in the world. This site has 16 photos.

WillisTower
They did a "revitalization" in 1985 and started a $500m redevelopment in 2018.

WillisTower
 
Jeff Incrocci posted
My favorite Sears Tower
Dawn Wilson: I worked in that building and you could hear it creaking in a strong wind and I swear it would sway. Freaked me out!
Janice Covetta Bernard: Dawn Wilson You were right, it did sway in the wind. https://www.discovery.com/.../World-Famous-Chicago...

Michael Brandt posted
Check out this great shot of the Sears Tower construction.

Barry Butler Photography posted
Another view of the massive lightning strike at 10pm tonight [Apr 4, 2023] in Chicago. BOOM!
WGN TV posted a cropped version of this photo

Albeast One posted

No comments:

Post a Comment