Thursday, August 26, 2021

WWII Navy Task Force 38

I don't do too many "one photo" posts. But I think this photo is worth it. I knew the US built a lot of ships for WWII. This photo helps me better comprehend the size of that war effort.
[Unfortunately, I forgot to record the source Facebook post.]



The US couldn't do this wartime construction again because we have lost too many of the industries needed to build big ships. Not only can China make 10 times more steel than we can, we can't build more steel mills. We have lost the companies like Mesta that make the machines that went into the mills. And we have lost companies like Verson Allsteel Press Co. that made the machines that formed steel into useful products. But it may not matter that the US can no longer tool up for a war effort because the next war may be fought in cyberspace rather than physical space. The loss of semiconductor manufacturing concerns me more than the loss of steel manufacturing.



No comments:

Post a Comment