Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Trail/Rock Island/Morris Terminal RR Bridge

(Bridge Hunter, Historic BridgesJohn Marvig, HAERSatellite)

On the west end of the Canalport park along the I&M Canal in Morris, IL, is an abandoned truss bridge over the canal.

East Elevation

West Elevation

20140627 113, looking west, downstream, from a pedestrian bridge
 
Casey Dikkers posted
This is the footbridge in Morris, IL that will take you over the old I&M canal. I'm not sure the exact age but it's not in too rough of shape.
Dennis DeBruler
Jim Goebel: Dennis DeBruler The eastern end bridge that the article talks about was used as a pedestrian crossover of the I & M until at least 1984. I remember crossing it while on a trip to visit my dad.

My first thought was that it was used by an interurban that also used what appeared to be an abandoned pier along the south side of the Illinois River in the lower-right corner below.


This picture was taken from the vicinity of the IL-47 road bridge over the Illinois River. But then I discovered that Tom Winkle had determined that the truss bridge was for the Morris Terminal RR. I'm still left with the question of what that hunk of concrete on the river was used for.

Also note that Tom found a better overview angle that avoids obstruction by the greenery. I'm going to have to try for that angle the next time I visit Morris. The BridgeHunters have some nice shots, especially the shot of the wood cribbing pier and abutment. And James McCray visited the site before so many trees and bushes got in the way. (See his photos on the Bridge Hunter site)  Historic Bridges labels it as a lattice type truss whereas Bridge Hunters labels it as a triple intersecting Warren through truss. I believe Bridge Hunter is just being more specific about the lattice truss design. Either way, it is a rather unique truss, and I'm glad it has been preserved as a rail trail. (Update: Rock Island bought the line in 1948. [John Marvig])

I was so frustrated with the trees blocking the view, that I tried to get a picture of the truss from the inside.


But it was still hard to understand how the trusses interlaced. So I threw some electrons at the issue and took pictures of one truss in segments.











No comments:

Post a Comment