Friday, August 1, 2014

Schultz Turf and Forage Seed Co.

I was stopped in Dieterich, IL, waiting for traffic to clear so that I could turn left on SR 33, and I noticed to my right the tops of two elevator lags. It struck me as strange that a rather small town would have two grain elevators. And then I noticed an old building near the lags, so I turned right instead of left on SR 33 when there was a gap in the traffic and found a parking lot.

The old building had significant additions built along side the tracks.

20140723-24 0008c

Over the shipping-and-receiving door in the lower-left corner is the sign Schultz Turf & Forage Seed. (When I looked at a satellite photo, a semi truck was parked at that door.) I had assumed it was a corn seed company because as I drove down the road, I saw signs on fences indicating which hybrid was growing in the field.

The lag over the industrial building is connected with a lag for more traditional concrete silos across the tracks that serves some silos. And there is a third lag for three more silos closer to the camera. (You can't see the top of the closer lag, just the pipes going to the silos.)


But when I found the company on the web, I learned that it sells about every kind of seed except corn including wildflower mixes.

Another clue that this wasn't a standard grain elevator is that the building had some dust collectors on the roof. To get a shot of the roof, I had to take the picture from the street side instead of the track side, but there was a new addition and a substation in the way that make the photo confusing. So I added a red rectangle to highlight the dust collectors. I used the thickest line that Paint offers, but it is still rather hard to spot. Look on the roof to the right of the old part of the building.

 
I assume the dust collectors are part of the equipment that cleans the seed before it is packaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment