Monday, September 3, 2018

Ferry Service between IL-1 and KY-91 over Ohio River

(Satellite, 15 photos)

Satellite
A satellite image (on the right) caught the ferry in transit. And it has an 18-wheeler in the center.

On one of my trips back to Chicagoland from Kentucky, I skipped my usual I-57 route and went out of my way so that I could ride this ferry. We arrived at the apron at 3:00.

20170322 8149

3:04:34  About four minutes later, the ferry had finished loading at the Illinois side and was pulling out. The towboat was in the process of turning around for the trip to this side. More about "turning around" below.
3:07:44  The above image was digitally cropped out of a photo that had this framing. I had not switched to my 55-200mm lens so I was shooting with my 18-55mm lens. Fortunately, that is good enough to get timestamps and the position of the ferry in the following photos as it crossed the Ohio River. It looks like it is going to head straight to the apron in this shot. But instead, it does quite a bit of maneuvering to deal with the current of the river. The river is flowing from right (east) to left (west).
 3:08:06
 3:08:34
 3:09:31
 3:09:49
 3:10:09
 3:10:43
 3:10:58
 3:11:11
3:11:20  As with drawbridges, cranes, etc., it is the fiddly bits at the end that take time.
3:11:24  After I noticed the propwash on the left of the pushboat, I noticed that there is a gap between the ferry and the east side of the apron. No wonder the guy at the gate has not opened the gates yet.
3:11:37  The big propwash indicates that a significant amount of power was needed to shove the ferry a little bit to the east.
 3:11:52  The helper is verifying the gap is closed.
 3:12:05  And opening the gates.
 3:12:27  So the traffic can leave.
3:12:46  Again, the truck goes in the middle.
After I parked the van, I got out to check things out. They don't bother to tie up the ferry for the short stay at the apron. They let the engine run to produce thrust to keep it shoved up against the apron. I believe this is called "keeping station." I've also seen this done when pushboats change crews.
That's my van at the head of the line. It must have been just us and the pickup truck on this crossing.
3:15:48  You can tell the boat was built as a pushboat because of the steps that would allow a crew to get on top of an empty barge. They have added a bracket to the center of the bow that is pinned to...
...a bracket added to the side of the ferry at its middle. As soon as it has pulled away from the apron, the rear of the boat is shoved away from the ferry and...
...pushed on around until...
 ...it is in position to push the ferry.

3:16:29
 3:16:38  We say goodbye to Kentucky.
As we saw in the satellite image, it throws a pretty big propwash when pushing the ferry.
3:20:10  We are getting closer to Illinois.
3:21:56  I got back in the van so I would be ready when they opened the gate since I'm the first one that needs to get off. The GPS understood we were in the river.
3:22:04  This was taken through the front windshield of the van. Four vehicles were lined up for the trip back.

No comments:

Post a Comment