Monday, January 22, 2024

2022 12-Lane Infinity Bridge in Dubai, UAB

(Satellite, 481 photos)

This is another international example that cable-stayed bridges don't need to be just some boring towers.

NewCivilEngineer, 1 of 4 photos

ColorKinetics, 1 of 5 photos
"The aptly named Infinity Bridge is an engineering masterpiece. It features a 42 m (138 ft) high steel arch representing the mathematical symbol of infinity to convey Dubai’s limitless and infinite goals. Spanning 295 m (968 ft) and 15.5 m (51 ft) above Dubai Creek, the bridge accommodates 12 lanes of traffic as well as pedestrian crossing"

Even the street lights have some pizazz.
Street View, Feb 2022

I thought the arches and cables were supposed to hold up the deck. But they built the deck first, and then used the deck to hold up five temporary towers to hold the arches while they were being built. [maegspa]
Mammoet
The 40 steel segments weighed up to 130 tons.
Mammoet used a Demag CC 8800-1 while Aertssen Machinery Services (AMS) used a Demag CC 3800.

It looks even more like the infinity symbol from above.
Satellite

aaconsultancy
"The Infinity Bridge has six lanes in each direction and is capable of accommodating 24,000 vehicles per hour. It also features a pedestrian and cycling track."
[When I first saw the number 24,000 in other sources, that number struck me as low, even for a 4-lane bridge. But then I noticed the "per hour" unit. If I convert to "per day" by multiplying by 24, I get 576,000. But when I proofread this, it occurred to me that 24 is too high because not all of the hours of the day would be busy. If I use 8 hours, I get 192,000.]

Nilesh Trivedi posted
The Infinity Bridge 
Dubai, UAE

This photo shows that the deck can support itself without the arches. But I assume the arches and cables are needed to help support the live load.
tonygee



No comments:

Post a Comment