Saturday, January 6, 2024

Blue Ridge Parkway over I-26 Overpasses near Ashville, NC

(Bridge Hunter broke Mar 22, 2023; Satellite)

The Blue Ridge Parkway overpass is not in bad condition, but it is being replaced to expand I-26. Construction started in 2019. [citizen-times]

I-26 is going from 4 to 8 lanes. Construction of the new 606' (185m) long bridge and destruction of the old bridge was planned to take 3 years. [NPS] I'm writing this in Jan 2024, so it going to be more than 5 years.

A steel girder bridge is being replaced by a box-girder concrete bridge.
Street View, June 2023

My motivation for these notes:
New Blue Ridge Parkway/MST I-26 Bridge posted two photos with the comment: "As of the end of 2023. It's been too cold to add segments lately. Work on this end of the bridge is even closer to the old bridge giving a great observation point."
1

2

avlwatchdog, Watchdog photo by John Boyle
"The bridge will be 605 feet (about 184 meters) long when completed, with two travel lanes and a sidewalk. The width is 36 feet (11 meters), and the roadway has a 6-degree slope to it, as it is in a curve on the Parkway. The bottom of the new bridge will be 85 to 90 feet (26 meters) above the I-26 roadway, the top 105 to 115 feet (32 to 35 meters). It will have a pedestrian sidewalk on the north side."
The bridge consists of 62 pre-cast segments that are posttensioned. The two piers have 14 segments, total. The $14.5m bridge is part of the $531m I-26 widening project.

The main reason I'm noting an overpass is that it has a Facebook page with a lot of contruction photos. Some of the posts that caught my eye.

Sep 27, 2023: New Blue Ridge Parkway/MST I-26 Bridge posted three photos with the comment: "Three great aerial pictures came to our attention this afternoon. Pictures show stacking of the south pier from yesterday (9/26)."
1

2

3

Some times they add a segment with the crane, other times they use the Segment Lifter. 

Nov 18, 2023: New Blue Ridge Parkway/MST I-26 Bridge posted four photos with the comment: "Last night the Segment Lifter was transferred over from the other side. Here are a few pictures of that operation courtesy of the 'crew.'"
1

2

3

4



No comments:

Post a Comment