Thursday, July 14, 2016

Model Railroading in real life

This photo struck me as the type of scene you see in some model railroad layouts where they try to cram a lot of track and bridges into a small space. Some of the comments have the same reaction I did --- it looks like a model railroad layout. Bill Hooper took the picture and his remarks are worth repeating:
Both CN and CP change sides in the Fraser River canyon at Cisco BC..Westbound CN on home rails crosses above the CP bridge..Directional running has CN line for westbounds and CP for eastbounds.
James Woodyatt commented: "The CP bridge (lower one) is one of the only bridges left in North America with stone supports!" I'm inclined to agree if he added the qualifiers "active" and "of that height." I'm surprised by the number of stone abutments I see in the Midwest. I guess I should have had a label for stone supports. I was able to find some examples of at least the base of some of the piers are still stone: the original piers for NYC over the Kankakee River, CB&Q over Illinois River, Santa Fe over Kankakee River, Keokuk Municipal bridge over the Mississippi River (note), Santa Fe over the Sanitary and Ship Canal uses cut dolostone for the swing span pier. Erie's WR bridge over the Passaic River has tall piers, but the bridge no longer carries railroad traffic.

I labelled it rrMisc even though I think CN and CP were the 1928 names for this route because I try to avoid just one instance of a label in the blog. And CN and CP would cause confusion with IC, SOO, Milwaukee Road, etc.

Google Satellite
Cisco Siding Rd,
Lytton, BC V0K 1Z0, Canada
I'm surprised that Google Satellite seemed overexposed. Their images are normally quite good.  But when I zoomed out, I realized that the stone and water of this part of the image are particularly bright. I tried Bing, but it turns out their image was under exposed. (I see I should have read the RailPictures page before searching Google for the location because they include the location.)
Bing Satellite

No comments:

Post a Comment