Friday, January 27, 2017

Morris Illinois River Bridge

(no Bridge Hunter?, John Weeks III, IDOT: simple, detailed)
20140627 0126
Morris has a park and boat launch between its I&M Canal and the Illinois River so access to the north side of the I-47 bridge is easy. I have already posted about the towboat activity I saw while I was there.
I took a picture of the 410-foot main span while some trucks were on the bridge so that you could get a better feel for how big that span is. This bridge is like IDOT's other truss replacement bridges. I have talked about how they bolt steel plates together to make the beams near the end of the Seneca posting and how they sometimes bend the beams to put a curve in the roadway.
The bridge also crosses the I&M Canal on the north side.
The boat launch area was closed because the river was high.


But the part under the bridge was still open so I took some pictures to capture the underside since it is normally hard to access that part.


This view lets you see some of the diagonal bracing between the beams.


No comments:

Post a Comment