Monday, July 29, 2019

Arthur M Anderson is back in service after a 2.5 year layup

(Update: I discovered it has its own Facebook group.)

She sailed with the Edmund Fitzgerald "maintaining radio and radar contact with each other on their Lake Superior transit through a forecasted storm, taking the longer route following the Canadian shore. This route afforded more protection from the winds and waves for most of the trip versus the more direct route across the lake that would expose them to the full force of the storm." Consequently, she was the last ship to have sight, radio, and radar contact with the Fitzgerald. The next day she joined several other ships to look for her. "Other than the eventual recovery of the [two] severely damaged lifeboats, the extensive search resulted in only the recovery of various pieces of floating debris from the sinking." [BoatNerd]

Entering Duluth Piers for winter lay up, Jan. 15, 2017.  (Chris Mazzella) [BoatNerd]
Because of the economy, this old (1952), oil-fired, steam-turbine ship has remained in Duluth until this (2019) Summer.

David Schauer posted
Tomorrow (Thursday, 7/25/19) should be the day the Arthur M. Anderson enters revenue service once again as she heads for Two Harbors to load. Here the venerable laker rests at Fraser on Sunday, 7/21/19.
Jim Hoffman Looks like that grey stripe needs to be extended downwards and leveled out. Will be interesting to see how she looks when sailing light without cargo...
Chris Mazzella It was fixed
David Schauer posted
Arthur M. Anderson loading on the west side of Dock 6 in Duluth. Minntac pellets for Great Lakes Works. 8/2/19

Glenn Blaszkiewicz posted (source)
Sunset at Fraser Shipyards in Superior with the freshly painted "Arthur M. Anderson". 7/19/19

Michigan Film Photographer Karl Wertanen posted
Shortly after I wrapped up at the Algonac Art Fair Sunday, I was lucky enough to photograph the Arthur M Anderson (1952) as it passed by Algonac headed for Ashtabula Ohio.
The Anderson is famous for being the last ship to be in contact with SS Edmund Fitzgerald before Edmund Fitzgerald sank on 10 November 1975.
The Anderson was also the first rescue ship on the scene in a vain search for survivors of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
The vessel's namesake, Arthur Marvin Anderson, was director of U.S. Steel, a member of its finance committee and vice chairman of the J. P. Morgan and Co. at the time.
Shot with Mavic 2 Pro/Hasselblad L1D-20c Camera
Silver Jfr Bernie Cooper from Port Conneaut Ohio was captain that nite.

(new window)

fred xeje She is 767'x70'x36' and will hold 25,300 tons of cargo. Looking really fine.
Jack Corvette Those seas were that big...they rolled up his deck and he's got a list and the water stays up and it's gonna put his bow down underwater and then when she started down the screw just drove her to the bottom......-Captain Jesse Bernie Cooper [Cooper was the captain of the Anderson when the Fitzgerald went down.]

In the above video, she is leaving Duluth, MN, for her fist docking at Two Harbors, MN, to get a load of iron ore. I wonder if her first docking will add scrape marks to the new paint job.

In 1962 she did a couple of trips on the recently opened St. Lawrence Seaway to carry iron ore from Port Cartier, QC, to Gary, IN. A bow thruster was added in 1966 and a stern thruster was added in 1989. Her original length was 647'. In 1975 120' was added and she went from a 6x7x6 hatch configuration to a 6x12x6 configuration. The self-unloading equipment was added during the 1981/82 winter layup. Both major modifications were done at the Fraser Shipyard, Superior, WI. That shipyard also did the $4m refit starting on April 2, 2019, to return her to service. [BoatNerd]

9and10news has a video of it on the St. Mary's River for the first time in 2.5 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment