Sunday, February 6, 2022

1928-1976 Lock & Dam #46 on the Ohio River at Owensboro, KY

(Satellite, the lock was along today's English Park between Hanning Lane and Woodford Ave.)

The Newburgh L&D made this wicket dam and L&D #47 obsolete.

Michael Gore posted three images with the comment: "With all the ongoing icy river posts and photos, I remembered a childhood winter in 1970. The M/V RAYMOND E. SALVATI (later OWEN CHILDRESS, MARGARET M. IGERT, JILL MARIE, RIVER HAWK, and finally DAVE CATHORALL) was the first towboat I ever rode on.  L&D 46 (Owensboro, KY) Lockmaster Peter B. English sent me these photos of the SALVATI breaking ice above the dam. My father and I went down and watched from on top the bank for a long time that day until we could stand the cold no longer. If I remember correctly, Capt. Lonnie White was on watch. I will post more about this very special boat for me another time."
[English Park in the satellite link above was named after Peter English, the last lockmaster for #46.]
1

2

3


Four photos from: Christina Clary on behalf of Kentucky Room Daviess County Public Library. "Lock & Dam 46." Clio: Your Guide to History. May 13, 2020. Accessed February 6, 2022https://www.theclio.com/entry/103327
1

2

3
4

1952 Owensboro (East & West) Quads @ 1:24,000

Postcard



No comments:

Post a Comment