Sunday, February 19, 2023

Green+Pink "L" over UP/C&NW North of Ogilvie Transportation Center

(no Bridge Hunter; 3D Satellite)

3D Satellite

I could not find a date for this video, but it is old because the signaling bridges that appear later in the video still have semaphores.
4:05 video @ 0:14

At first, I thought this truss was a double lattice or double Warren, which is rather common on the C&NW. For example, the C&NW bridge over the Milwaukee is an example of that design. But then I noticed that this truss is a series of X's. I don't remember every seeing that type of truss.
Michael Morris posted via Dennis DeBruler

Michael North posted via Dennis DeBruler

David Cole posted two photos via Dennis DeBruler with the comment:
A study in then and now...The 400 departs North Western Station in 1953. Today these are the throat tracks of the Ogilvie Transportation Center... North Western Station sounds soooo much better!
1

2

3 comments:

  1. Wow, talk about timely. I have a picture of me and college buddies, probably from around 1986-ish. It shows us waiting at what must be the Clinton station for the el westbound to Oak Park. It shows that trestle bridge in the background. I've used the Clinton station in recent years and, obviously, the trestle bridge is gone, so I was having a hard time placing the exact location of the photo - and now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, this is actually the Green+Pink (not Red) "L" over the UP N + NW lines.

    ReplyDelete