Monday, March 6, 2023

CSX/Big Four Bridge over Scioto River at La Rue, OH and Mar 2023 Flooding

(no Bridge Hunter; Satellite)

Street View, Jul 2014

Why am I noting a steel girder bridge that is so plain that Bridge Hunter hasn't documented it? Because the river is flooding. I wonder how much of the field that is out-of-frame to the left is under water.
MP Rail Photography posted
A CSX Autorack train heads westbound over a flooded Scioto River in La Rue, Ohio on the CSX Mt. Victory Subdivision.
March 4, 2023
La Rue, Ohio
Power:
CSX 3082 - ES44AH
CSX 86 - AC44CW
MP Rail Photography shared

I knew California was getting a lot of precipitation this year, but I didn't know that the Ohio Valley is also getting pounded. So I checked out the river level gauge at Paducah. This shows that a single rain storm over the Ohio River watershed can have a significant impact on the Ohio River.
USGS

Then it occurred to me to checkout Vicksburg, MS, because that river was really low last Fall. 
Sam Evans Strickland posted via Dennis DeBruler-dry

Indeed, the Mississippi River level has recovered from its low of last Fall.
Dennis DeBruler-wet

No comments:

Post a Comment