Tuesday, May 4, 2021

1910 BNSF(OTR+BN) + UP Trestle over Willow Creek Canyon near Madras, OR

(Bridge Hunter; no Historic Bridges; Satellite)

I was going to pass on yet-another-trestle-bridge until I saw in the post below an explanation of the "pipe." One advantage of a desert is that trees don't block your view.
Street View

Tom Runge posted two photos with the comment: "Two of the pictures are of the Willow Creek Canyon Trestle in Madras, Oregon which is my home town.  I have climbed that longest tower to the top when I was about 12 or 13.  Also walked across it 5 or 6 times. (70 now and lucky to be alive!)  That big pipe you see below the trestle is a siphon to get irrigation water across the canyon.  I estimate it to be 15 feet in diameter and it is drained in the winter months.  Have walked thru it numerous times.   One time while about three of us were half way up one side someone started shooting a 22 rifle down the pipe.  We could hear the bullets ricochet past us.  We yelled and they stopped firing.  I remember watching steam locomotives cross when I was 5 or 6. Probably around 1956."
Donovan Reed: I photographed the 4449 on the trestle for the 2017 excursion run. Parked on the side of the road, walked the pipeline across and stood at the South end of the bridge. It was a fun time.
1

2
According to Bridge Hunter, this photo was taken by Michael Goff in March 15, 2008.


No comments:

Post a Comment