Thursday, September 17, 2020

Facebook Lemonade: They no longer abbreviate URL displays

Facebook's Doomsday has happened. But I have discovered an escape to the classic version so that I can still get examples of how they did stuff better.

Some URLs can be rather long. When a long URL is shoved into Facebook's skinny timeline display, it consumes a lot of screen lines.



The classic version did a good job of abbreviating them so that only one screen line was consumed. Specifically, it included the domain name and the end. Actually, now that I look at it, it is smarter than using just the end. Now I'm curious what their algorithm was. But I won't be able to study how they abbreviated URLs until, hopefully, they copy that code forward into the new version.

Some URLs can fill a screen with quite a bit of gobbly-gook.

Update:
Facebook fixed this in less than a day! Kudos for Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment