Sunday, March 7, 2021

1888 Jackson Boulevard Swing Bridge over the South Branch

(3D Satellite, it has been replaced by the 1916 trunnion bridge)

A Joseph Strauss designed trunnion bridge replaced this one in 1916.

Pavel Bv posted
Former Jackson Street Swing Bridge, 1892. “Union Depot” rail yard on the front left.

MWRD posted
MWRD posted
The original Jackson Blvd. bridge from the west end looking east in 1914.
MWRD posted again

MWRD posted
A view to the south from the Adams Street bridge on May 10, 1904, showing the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks and warehouse on the west side of the South Branch of the Chicago River, with the Jackson Street and Metropolitan West Side elevated railroad bridges visible in the background. The inlet to the bypass tunnel, which had been built by the Sanitary District (now MWRD) to accommodate increased flow of water through the Chicago River to the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, is at left below the railing. 

Patrick McNamara shared

MWRD posted
Historical Photo of the Week: The cofferdam on the west side of the South Branch of the ‪#‎Chicago‬ River during construction of the Jackson Blvd. bridge on April 2, 1914, viewed from the south side of the swing bridge that was being replaced.
MWRD posted
The cofferdam on the west side of the South Branch of the Chicago River during construction of the Jackson Boulevard Bridge in Chicago, Illinois, on April 2, 1914. The MWRD built the bascule bridge to replace the previous swing bridge. It was completed in late 1915 and was opened to traffic in January 1916.

MWRD posted
A view from the Jackson Street bridge looking south towards Van Buren on September 5, 1903, showing an area adjacent to and above the bypass channel on the South Branch of the Chicago River. The Sanitary District (now MWRD) developed a plan in 1895 to increase the capacity of the South Branch in order to convey necessary flow of water for the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. The MWRD deepened and widened the waterway by dredging and replacing docks and bridges, and where bridge replacement was not feasible (roughly between Van Buren and Adams) the MWRD built a by-pass channel. Construction of the bypass channel began in 1898 and it opened in 1900. It was removed beginning in 1911 after adjoining property was acquired, allowing for widening of the river in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment