Saturday, June 10, 2023

Spaghetti Interchanges

See also:

Los Angeles: I-110 vs. I-105


Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange
Jim K. Georges: The photo is I-110 at I-105. 
https://goo.gl/maps/AaV95Pc52c872obv7
 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Los Angeles Interchange, United States of America
Craig MacDonald: The 110-105! Went through this a few times, looks amazing going on the 110 northbound straight through
 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
USA πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Los Angeles, Aerial of Judge Harry Pregerson Interchange and Highway
Jim K. Georges: I-110 (Harbor Freeway) at I-105 (Century Freeway)

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
LA Interchange 😍 Los Angeles Interchange, United States of America

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
California
Jonathan Lippard: Worth risking the ticket to go solo on the HOV flyover for the view (~100 feet in the air).
Luanne Martel: Do it really look like that? Someone from from Cali talk talk to me is it real?
 
Dennis DeBruler commented on Luanne's comment
Yes, 
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9271866,-118.2807013,1427m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu
 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
California
Jim K. Georges: I-110 looking north at I-105 last to right in Los Angeles.
 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Usa
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
California ,USA

In addition to connecting the local lanes in all the directions, I think it connects eastbound and westbound express lanes to northbound express lanes and southbound express lane to westbound express lane. and a track from a tunnel going westbound and local roads thread their way through the maze of overpasses.
The stack interchange is over 103' (31.4m) high. Before the interchange opened, it was used to make the 1994 Speed movie. It was also used in 2011 and 2015 to make Samsara and La La Land.[wikipedia]

Street View


Bronx side of the I-95+US-1 Alexander Hamilton Bridge in NYC


aisc
 
ChinaConstruction via Dennis DeBruler


Springfield, VA (Washington DC area)


Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Jim K. Georges: Ron Urban I-95/I-395/I-495 in Springfield, VA in the Washington DC area.

Dennis DeBruler commented on the above post
38.791117, -77.175534,
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7917715,-77.1772892,2463m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu


Arlington, TX: I-30 vs. SR-360



City of Arlington, TX - City Hall posted

Satellite


Louisville, KY: I-65 vs. I-64 vs. I-71


The estimated cost of the interchange, $600m, was almost twice the cost of the bridge itself, $340m. [Bridges and Tunnels]
Interchange ,USAπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ    For Engineering information visit      πŸ‘‰πŸ‘‰https://bit.ly/2CK0pBf
Lee Stephens: Known as Spaghetti Junction! Where I- 65 I-64 and I- 71 converge in Downtown Louisville, KY USA. I just call it gridlock!
Christopher Boden: Why do some sections of road fork off then join the same bit of road again?
Kevin Fransen: Christopher Boden are you referring to the freeway going from the top left to the middle rightin the photo? That is Interstate 65. You’ll notice that there are barricades dividing the lanes.Taking the left 2 lanes will keep you on I-65 South. Taking the right lane will allow you to exit onto surface streets. There is an entrance back onto I-65 Southbound though. That is because those lanes are used for Eastbound/Westbound I-64 drivers who want to go South on I-65.

When I-65 was built, the John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge was opened in 1963 to carry that Interstate across the Ohio River. The Abraham Lincoln Bridge was added in 2015 to help relieve the congestion. A big part of that 2015 project was building a new interchange on the south side of the bridges. They had to build the new interchange while maintaining traffic flow through the interchange. I had the "thrill" of driving through that intersection during construction. You had to read the signs fast and be prepared for being jammed into another lane. And each time I went through it, the maze was different. Hopefully it now has proper merge lanes so that the traffic is not jammed together. This construction caused tolls to be added to the I-65 bridges.
Google Earth, May 2022

Here is a "before" image:
Gooble Earth, Aug 2010

Using a road map to get the big picture, we see that I-64 is an east/west highway and I-65 is a north/south highway. I-71 starts at this intersection and goes towards Cincinnati.
Road Map

Sep 21, 2016, source: Kentucky Transportation Cabinet via Bridges and Tunnels

stantec


Albuquerque, NM

 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Big I Interchange Albuquerque, New Mexico

Satellite

Putera Raja Ahmad Syairozi commented on the above post
Meanwhile in Highway in Malaysia

Huangjuewan Junction in Chongqing China


Nickey.com posted
China’s πŸ‡¨πŸ‡³ labyrinth-like Interchange that packs 20
πŸ“· @blowithand

While looking for the above, I found the following. Or is this what the locals call the "Spaghetti Junction?"

Note that the road to the East goes into a tunnel. 
Satellite

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Pontus Mirar Hagland: https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5...


Dubai, UAE


Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Dubai πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ͺ,United Arab Emirates...
Nickey.com posted
https://nickeyscircle.com/dubais-massive-interchange/

Dennis DeBruler commented on the above post
https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5...

Is this the same intersection without the landcaping?
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Dubai

How many of these interchanges do they have. Some of them have rather sparse traffic.
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Dubai... United Arab Emirates
 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Dubai


Gravelly Hill, Birmingham, UK


Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
United Kindom
David Moth: Gravelly Hill, Birmingham?

Dennis DeBruler commented on David's comment
Thanks for the information. The UK is a big place.


Guangzhou, China



I spent more time looking for this. I thought an intersection with five "spokes" would be easy to find. I found a lot of flyovers in Guangzhou, but not this one.
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Aerial View of flyover in Guangzhou City, China

Chicagoland

It's not spaghetti, but it is a nice photo. The local and express lanes of I-90 leaves the Dan Ryan, then the Dan Ryan interchanges with I-55, then it terminates at Cermak, Ave.
We Love USA posted
Chicago, Illinois

I'm saving I-88 vs. I-294 vs. Roosevelt Road because the Toll Road is building a new interchange design, again.
Satellite


Dallas


Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Dallas Texas, USA
Bryan Hunt: Sergio Garcia Downtown Dallas. Upper right is I30 coming in from Grand Prairie and it's connecting to I35E.
James Stark: Concrete contractors must be fat & happy with Dallas/Fort Worth; Dallas seems to have more “flyover ramps” than any other place here in the USA; It concerns me that (in my 18 wheeler) there is only the low K barrier to keep me from “flying” off down into oblivion; I did see an 18 rig hanging off up high of one spilling its entire tractor diesel tank capacity one day; There are plenty of these concrete flyovers in Houston, Austin, San Antonio & El Paso too…
[These roads look almost as sparse as the roads in China.]
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Spaghetti Interchanges
Jim K. Georges: Dallas Texas I-35E @ I-30

Satellite

And that is just the western part of the intersection. Here is the whole thing.
Satellite

There is a lot of spaghetti in Dallas. Where is this one?
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
High Five Interchange Dallas Texas, USA
 
Jason Manopoly posted
Dallas, Texas in USA
[I do not understand why people won't provide the route identifiers for the roads in an intersection.]

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted


Finally, a post with location information. And this post identifies the above post.
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
The High Five Interchange is one of the first five-level stack interchanges built in Dallas, Texas. Located at the junction of the Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway (Interstate 635, I-635) and the Central Expressway (US Highway 75, US 75), it replaces an antiquated combination interchange constructed in the 1960s.



Shanghai, China


Sunay Das posted
SHANGHAI  ....  CHINA  ....
[I noticed the stadium on the left side. So I searched for "stadium" in Google Maps and looked for a stadium icon near a road intersection. I found this and this. But neither match the photo.]

Sunay Das posted
ONE  OF  THE  BUSIEST  OVERPASS  IN    THE  WORLD  ....  LOCATED  IN   SHANGHAI  ....  CHINA  ....
ι™³εŠ ζˆ²: This is a real landscape, not fake. Shanghai Yan'an West Road Overpass
[Even with the clue, I could not find it.]


Unknown



Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
[A lot of comments called this a good design. My reaction is that it is a bad design because to make a "left turn," you have to cross three lanes in less than a quarter of a circle. Some comments point out that if you miss your exit you can go around it catch it again. I think it is better to simply have a flyover ramp that makes the left turn without having to look for another exit. This design is better if a lot of people have to make a U-turn, but I don't understand why a lot of U-turns would be needed.]

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Chinese Highway
[This reminds me of the mountain interchange in Japan.]
 
Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
China

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Highway interchange in China

Highway Engineering Discoveries posted
Highway intersection
[Wow, this time he didn't even bother to specify a country.]


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic engineering. Thank you for shearing.

    ReplyDelete